Golden Memories For Boys Of '99

SWPISHOME

It's ten years tomorrow since one of the biggest games in City's history, even if it sometimes seems like just the other day to the heroes of that remarkable play-off final against Gillingham at Wembley.

Joe Royle's Blues, relegated the previous May to football's third tier for the first time in the club's proud history, were 2-0 down with 89 minutes on the clock and seemingly doomed to miss promotion.

But Kevin Horlock snatched a goal back and - with five minutes of added time offering fresh hope - Paul Dickov hit the greatest goal of his career to force extra time and a famous penalty shoot-out victory.

City followed that stirring 1999 Division Two play-off win with another promotion 12 months later to return in triumph to the top flight, but for Blues fans in a 76,935 Wembley crowd, that was the day to remember.

The players who wore the shirt that day will never forget it either, and some of the lads were back as the club's honoured guests to be given a standing ovation for the Premier League finale against Bolton. Pictured with Chief Executive Garry Cook are (l-r): Andy Morrison, Gareth Taylor, Paul Dickov, Tony Vaughan and Gerard Wiekens.

Striker Gareth Taylor, sent on as a late substitute to help turn the game, said: "Ten years? It's scary really. I got married a week later and lots of the lads came to the wedding. Nicky Weaver was there, beckoning people over - c'mere, c'mere, just like he was doing at Wembley after the penalty save!

"I never played in a match like that again. Joe sent me on with three minutes to go and they were 1-0 up. It was my third time at Wembley, with two losing ones behind me, then Gillingham scored again - I was like, 'Oh my God'.

"But I had a hand in both our goals from two long diagonal balls, flicking one on to Kev and the other for Paul's goal. I can remember fans coming back into the stadium when it went 2-1.

"We could see them all flooding back in. I'd been there with Sheffield United and never seen a stadium half-empty as quickly as it did that day against Crystal Palace. But this was amazing.

"When it went to extra time, I knew that we had them. They were just so flat. It was understandable - you're 2-0 up with a minute to go ... I knew that we'd won. I went to a few of the lads before extra time and said 'this is ours'. And when it went to penalties, you just had that feeling that it was our day.

"It's good to see a few familiar faces and stroll down memory lane. I remember we didn't all go back on the coach, some stayed down. We ended up in a bar in Altrincham then next day it was all round to Paul Dickov's for a barbecue."

Gareth might never have experienced a day like that again, but his love of the game still burns strong. He added: "I played for Wales and in four Wembley play-off finals but that game was special.

"I've just finished at Doncaster, having helped them beat Leeds at Wembley last year. I'll carry on playing. I'm no spring chicken at 36, but I feel fit enough for one more season.

"I've got my coaching badges and I fancy management in the long term. I've played under Joe Royle, Howard Kendall, Stan Ternent, Gary Megson, Joe Kinnear ... you learn a lot from people like that."

City's Wembley heroes were: Weaver, Crooks (Taylor 85), Edghill, Wiekens, Morrison (Bishop 61), Horlock, Brown (Vaughan 61), Jeff Whitley, Cooke, Dickov, Goater. City won 3-1 on penalties after extra time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.