Golf Thread

Think it’s more to do with their college system and competitive golf in there. Has the added bonus of them all knowing each other’s games inside out.

I think the President's Cup (Ryder Cup style, US vs Rest of the World) has worked its way into their system now, and they understand the format a bit more.

Most of the egos seem to have been moved out too, and the rise of Koepka and Morikawa has hugely strengthened them - I'd agree that the college plan has also been used to push them forward.

Think it’s more to do with their college system and competitive golf in there. Has the added bonus of them all knowing each other’s games inside out.
Or simply our players are ageing, under-performing, suffering from the lack of support, have been paired poorly and ineffectual leadership.
Lol, I started off saying 'simply' but in actual fact just about everything has been wrong. Fortunately golf is very cyclical.

Last edited:
Or simply our players are ageing, under-performing, suffering from the lack of support, have been paired poorly and ineffectual leadership.
Lol, I started off saying 'simply' but in actual fact just about everything has been wrong. Fortunately golf is very cyclical.

Right, but that’s answering a different question. That’s why our team this time is so poor, doesn’t change that this is a very good US team too though with a bunch of players that all know each other very well.

The worrying thing for us is I’m not sure we’ve got that many coming through.

Seeing fat Lowry celebrating last night and tubby grandpa Westwood all week. Compared to the Americans who apart from Thomas with his double chin are all pretty much in good shape just sums it up to me. Lack of discipline and effort in European golf these days.
Tubby Grandpa Westwood has played 47 matches in the Ryder Cup. A little respect might not go amiss.

Sky continuing to ignore or play down the moronic behaviour of the Yank fans and players - as if it isn't a factor - it is.
We would still lose comfortably but the "hosts" have created a hostile an unpleasant environment not conducive to golf competition.
I suppose Sky need the Yank players on board for the year round coverage of their tour.

We haven't got a poor team. Far from it.
We've lost this Ryder Cup, simply because the Yanks (particularly on home soil) are MUCH better putters than us, and consequently, it's a putting competition, and they set up their courses to suit. You look at weekly US tournaments. Their courses are a carbon copy of each other. Target golf, week in, week out, set up for birdies.

From what I've seen, we've not played bad golf, we've just not holed anything near the amounts they have.

Don't highlight their college system. That's been in place for decades, yet we've wiped their arses, MANY times over the years.

Seeing fat Lowry celebrating last night and tubby grandpa Westwood all week. Compared to the Americans who apart from Thomas with his double chin are all pretty much in good shape just sums it up to me. Lack of discipline and effort in European golf these days.
Jack Nicklaus wasn't going going to fall down many grids, was he.

How did he do?

We haven't got a poor team. Far from it.
We've lost this Ryder Cup, simply because the Yanks (particularly on home soil) are MUCH better putters than us, and consequently, it's a putting competition, and they set up their courses to suit. You look at weekly US tournaments. Their courses are a carbon copy of each other. Target golf, week in, week out, set up for birdies.

From what I've seen, we've not played bad golf, we've just not holed anything near the amounts they have.

Don't highlight their college system. That's been in place for decades, yet we've wiped their arses, MANY times over the years.

Agree with most of that. It is worth highlighting their college system though as this particular team for them has a lot of players that came through it together.

It is a benefit to them, it always has been. It shows again just how good our players and teams have been over the years though.

Yeah, cos the game hasn't moved on in 50 years.
It has.
One of the "fatties" you mentioned, was the reigning Open Champion until this July.

... and if anyone mentions age, don't we currently have reigning 51 year old Major winner. Also. in the last Ryder Cup, 7 of the 12 European players were aged 35 or over, 3 of which were in their 40's.

A good golfer is a good golfer, whether if they're no spring chicken, or a stranger to the salad drawer of their fridge.
I must tell the current World No. 1 to steer clear of the tapas and rioja

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.