Golf tips

Congratulations to Danny Willet on winning the BMW PGA championship.

xlarges2-ep1-people-avatar-bw-greyjoy-theon-1024x1024.jpg

couple of tips i find for long game that help:

1. maintain posture throughout the swing (dont move up or down as that will throw your swing path completely off plane and lead to loads of miss hits)
2. dont sway laterally. its all about rotation of the hips and the shoulders.
3. start the downswing with a small bump to the left of the hips but dont sway towards the ball.
4. hips should rotate down towards the ball. upon contact, hips should be facing more towards the target.
5. dont swing at the ball, swing through on the line towards the target

and as other posters have said, short game is so important. you can play badly but if you get up and down and hole most of your putts you can still score well.

How did you find them? I had a golf week last week played Ladybank , New, Jubilee, Eden & Castle at St Andrews and Scotscraig. Trouble is I seem to have damaged my shoulder through too much golf and can barely move my arm now.

Scotscraig front 9 was tough as it blew quite a bit, the back 9 the wind eased so it became easier. I played it before when it was blowing hard for 18. Played The Castle before, that was really good for a relatively new course.
I`ve not played the New, Jubilee or Eden.
Ladybank is a delight to play. but my favourite on this trip was Blairgowrie, it`s the 1st time I`ve played the Rosemount course. I`ve played 38 of Scotland top 100.

Love all 3 at Gleneagles, Nairn West, The Renaissance, Royal Aberdeen Murcar, Kingsbarns, Turnberry, The Dukes and Western Gailes.
Think Loch Lomand while really good is overated.
On my wish list is Royal Dornock, Brora, Skibo Castle, Castle Stuart, Troon and unfortunately the Trump near Aberdeen.

couple of tips i find for long game that help:

1. maintain posture throughout the swing (dont move up or down as that will throw your swing path completely off plane and lead to loads of miss hits)
2. dont sway laterally. its all about rotation of the hips and the shoulders.
3. start the downswing with a small bump to the left of the hips but dont sway towards the ball.
4. hips should rotate down towards the ball. upon contact, hips should be facing more towards the target.
5. dont swing at the ball, swing through on the line towards the target

and as other posters have said, short game is so important. you can play badly but if you get up and down and hole most of your putts you can still score well.

You make a lot of very good points but no.5 is the key. This is something that I've discovered in the past few weeks thanks to Shawn Clement. I've been playing golf for 25 years and always had the force of my downswing from the top instead of through impact. It's a game changer and explains why I always sliced it.

On Monday I was about ready to give up. Yesterday I hit the ball as good as ever. It's a mad sport.

I highly recommend Shawn Clement's YouTube channel and the Karl Morris podcasts. Swing technique is such a tiny fraction of the game that's been blown up to be something it isn't. You can correct your swing by external focus (such as aiming for targets) as opposed to internal focus (what's my right elbow doing etc).

We should have a bluemoon golf day!
Didn’t realise there was so many keen golfers on here!

I play most Saturday and Sunday mornings myself.
I live in ramsbottom and play at Harwood golf club most weeks.

I’ve made a lot of changes to my game the last few months and can see some improvements, even played in my first ever competition, played off about 24 and was quite satisfied with my game.

One thing I get so frustrated with is the consistency though! I just wanna be consistent, I’ve started to interlock when I swing as opposed to overlapping like I used to, it felt so unnatural at first but getting used to it now!
My biggest problem is my set up and stance at times when using certain clubs, the amount of times I top the ball when I’m ok a fairway and using my hybrid on a par 5 or clubs such as my 4 5 or 6 irons.
When I’m using my driver I make sure my left leg is more on line with the ball/tee, and as I club down I move my back leg further towards the ball, but still can’t get it right.
I try to use the 5/6 iron as a central point. If that makes sense!

Any tips for stance and set ups that people find useful?

Absolutely buzzing after I played a couple of days ago. At the same course 18 months ago I scored 115. 8 months ago 100. The other day I hit 92 which included, very unlike me, hitting four 3 putts. 20 over par which on this course is equivalent to a 17hc with four 3 putts! On the contrary I hit 9 out of 14 fairways which is unheard of!

It's been a long journey to get to this level but I'm so confident now the sky is the limit. I set myself a target of getting back to a 10hc which I was pre-amputation 13 years ago. This is on like donkey kong!

Three tips that sorts wheat from the chaff in golf learning:

Karl Morris' Brain Booster podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/karl-morris-the-brainbooster/id1258525394

Shawn Clement

https://www.youtube.com/user/clemshaw

Marcus Bell - Zen Golf - His lack of subscribers and views are criminal considering how many views loads of other 'coaches' get.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOmSDzXeSVR2BicmV2X1iYA

We should have a bluemoon golf day!
Didn’t realise there was so many keen golfers on here!

I play most Saturday and Sunday mornings myself.
I live in ramsbottom and play at Harwood golf club most weeks.

I’ve made a lot of changes to my game the last few months and can see some improvements, even played in my first ever competition, played off about 24 and was quite satisfied with my game.

One thing I get so frustrated with is the consistency though! I just wanna be consistent, I’ve started to interlock when I swing as opposed to overlapping like I used to, it felt so unnatural at first but getting used to it now!
My biggest problem is my set up and stance at times when using certain clubs, the amount of times I top the ball when I’m ok a fairway and using my hybrid on a par 5 or clubs such as my 4 5 or 6 irons.
When I’m using my driver I make sure my left leg is more on line with the ball/tee, and as I club down I move my back leg further towards the ball, but still can’t get it right.
I try to use the 5/6 iron as a central point. If that makes sense!

Any tips for stance and set ups that people find useful?

Tip no.1 forget about consistency, it doesn't exist in golf! Take a look at the post above and go watch some Clement / Bell videos and listen to the Brainbooster podcast. Everything you need is in there without the golf jargon and all the 'your left elbow needs to do this' or your 'right foot should be here' etc.

Tip no.1 forget about consistency, it doesn't exist in golf! Take a look at the post above and go watch some Clement / Bell videos and listen to the Brainbooster podcast. Everything you need is in there without the golf jargon and all the 'your left elbow needs to do this' or your 'right foot should be here' etc.

Karl Morris is very good. Went to one of his talks at our club and came out buzzing. He’s a really nice guy too. Pity he is a rag though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.