Golf tips

The job of the good golf course manager is to keep the course as the golf course architect meant it to be played.
Golf committees over the years have often made decisions that have destroyed the original intent of the architect.
I played Woodhall spa last week, they have removed thousands of trees to restore the true nature of what is one of the best inland courses in the World.
I have played 70 of Britains top 100 courses., many are making efforts to restore them to the original design, which often means getting rid of trees, and giving the land a chance to breathe , too many trees, kills growth and stops sunlight,
Hollinwell this week another top inland course, Cavendish at the weekend, a mckensie course , he of Augusta fame. .

We had a green the 5th surrounded by trees after the club had 6 USGA built due to a dual carriageway going through the course the committee decided to replace the 5th green with a USGA spec green.
I said build it 10 yards away from the old site and the trees that way it wont be surrounded by trees and well grow better and well be in play most of the year ( in the winter it had no sun for about 5 months of the year ).
The committee said no it will ruin the hole and make it to short. I said we could move the tee make 10 yards backing the tee shot more exciting going through a corridor of trees. Again no came the reply.

So the club spent 35k building a new USGA spec green in the same place as the old green, but built a temporary green about 20 short of it !.
This green has the same problem as the old green even after 10 years in the winter they had to use the temp green. If only the club had moved it 10 yards basically making the back of the new green were the front on the old green than it would have been played nearly all year.

When we grew in the 6 new USGA spec our head of greens at the time told the members that these are all year round greens no need for temps ever again. I told the club even after we open the greens we will still need to close them for a rest period and after about 2 to 3 seasons than we wont.
Open in June and they played them straight through till February by which time they were thread bear. I had given the club reports on how to grow them in but was ignored.
You cant just leave the green to grow in after a year than suddenly open it the greens needs to get use to having foot traffic.
Lucky the captain believe me and we closed the greens in feb. We had a good spring and the greens recoved well and we never had to close them again.
I do find it odd that a club can spend 180k on 6 greens than leave the decision making up to a building supply company director and not they highly qualified head/course manager.
Still that's a bog standard members club I guess.
I think courses of the top courses are in good hands as they seem to respect their greenkeeper it's the ordinary members club that arent great to work for.
A colleague of mine managers this years open course and over the last the he has done a great job in clearing the course of rye grass, which shouldnt be on a links course !
He had the backing of the club and the STRI.

When I took over at my club I want to try and reduce the Poa, by using less feed, less irritation, more aeration. I told the members the greens would take a step backward which they did. The members moaned wanted me sacked because they preferred soft, wet poa greens as it made them look better golfers even though the greens were dieing. I survived the summer and the greens stayed on main greens most of the winter and come the summer they were much better.

Greenkeeper is now so scientific which I enjoyed that side of it ! Ever year the club would bring in an agronomist from the STRI to inspect my work ( club always thought it wasnt great but kept me for 22 years lol before being made redundant ! ).
I always go a good report from them and a few times was told I should go to one of the top courses, but I didnt fancy moving.
It's just a shame that so many golfers will blame the greenkeeping staff for their inability to play the shot they think they can.
Lots of good greenkeeper have left the industry now and most members club have an ageing team just waiting to retire. I feel in a few years they will be a big drop of in the standard of members clubs due to this. It only takes about 18 months for the drop in standards to show but years to correct. Early starts, low pay lots of moans. The thing that would get me was I was a highly qualified greenkeeper yet the members didnt respect that, thought anyone could maintain a course. Members thought more of the cleaner than us yet without us there is no club.

I loved greenkeeping still miss it as I know I was good at my job. Loved the early morning and producing a good course most of the time to a to higher standard for the average player. The low handy cappers didnt moan much at all if they did it was because the course was to easy and higher handy cappers would beat them lol.
I miss greenkeeping but sadly I would never go back, I like a stress free life now like so many of my mates who are also ex greenkeeper now, such a lost to the industry.

Last edited:
We had a green the 5th surrounded by trees after the club had 6 USGA built due to a dual carriageway going through the course the committee decided to replace the 5th green with a USGA spec green.
I said build it 10 yards away from the old site and the trees that way it wont be surrounded by trees and well grow better and well be in play most of the year ( in the winter it had no sun for about 5 months of the year ).
The committee said no it will ruin the hole and make it to short. I said we could move the tee make 10 yards backing the tee shot more exciting going through a corridor of trees. Again no came the reply.

So the club spent 35k building a new USGA spec green in the same place as the old green, but built a temporary green about 20 short of it !.
This green has the same problem as the old green even after 10 years in the winter they had to use the temp green. If only the club had moved it 10 yards basically making the back of the new green were the front on the old green than it would have been played nearly all year.

When we grew in the 6 new USGA spec our head of greens at the time told the members that these are all year round greens no need for temps ever again. I told the club even after we open the greens we will still need to close them for a rest period and after about 2 to 3 seasons than we wont.
Open in June and they played them straight through till February by which time they were thread bear. I had given the club reports on how to grow them in but was ignored.
You cant just leave the green to grow in after a year than suddenly open it the greens needs to get use to having foot traffic.
Lucky the captain believe me and we closed the greens in feb. We had a good spring and the greens recoved well and we never had to close them again.
I do find it odd that a club can spend 180k on 6 greens than leave the decision making up to a building supply company director and not they highly qualified head/course manager.
Still that's a bog standard members club I guess.
I think courses of the top courses are in good hands as they seem to respect their greenkeeper it's the ordinary members club that arent great to work for.
A colleague of mine managers this years open course and over the last the he has done a great job in clearing the course of rye grass, which shouldnt be on a links course !
He had the backing of the club and the STRI.

When I took over at my club I want to try and reduce the Poa, by using less feed, less irritation, more aeration. I told the members the greens would take a step backward which they did. The members moaned wanted me sacked because they preferred soft, wet poa greens as it made them look better golfers even though the greens were dieing. I survived the summer and the greens stayed on main greens most of the winter and come the summer they were much better.

Greenkeeper is now so scientific which I enjoyed that side of it ! Ever year the club would bring in an agronomist from the STRI to inspect my work ( club always thought it wasnt great but kept me for 22 years lol before being made redundant ! ).
I always go a good report from them and a few times was told I should go to one of the top courses, but I didnt fancy moving.
It's just a shame that so many golfers will blame the greenkeeping staff for their inability to play the shot they think they can.
Lots of good greenkeeper have left the industry now and most members club have an ageing team just waiting to retire. I feel in a few years they will be a big drop of in the standard of members clubs due to this. It only takes about 18 months for the drop in standards to show but years to correct. Early starts, low pay lots of moans. The thing that would get me was I was a highly qualified greenkeeper yet the members didnt respect that, thought anyone could maintain a course. Members thought more of the cleaner than us yet without us there is no club.

I loved greenkeeping still miss it as I know I was good at my job. Loved the early morning and producing a good course most of the time to a to higher standard for the average player. The low handy cappers didnt moan much at all if they did it was because the course was to easy and higher handy cappers would beat them lol.
I miss greenkeeping but sadly I would never go back, I like a stress free life now like so many of my mates who are also ex greenkeeper now, such a lost to the industry.

Very interesting post mate. Amateur golf committees are a joke, making decisions only a qualified, experienced person can. Power goes to their heads.
I play in a pro am at a club in the Cotswolds, burford. The green keeper is a lovely bloke. Really know a his stuff, 5 handicap, and we have played with him in the comp a few times. He talks us around "His course" as we have played, it is beautiful.He gets no interference from the greens committee, and makes all the big decisions. That would be the ideal for me, and i do think the course manager should play the course and be paid for doing so.
Some golfers are nobs. Played with a "new" member this morning. 4 handicap. Stood all around his ball in the deep rough and parted it with his hands, marked his ball with his hands covering it, alerted me to him nicking three inches on every putt.. Told him on the sixth, that I had seen what he was doing. Shall not be playing with him again, and everyone had been alerted,

Very interesting post mate. Amateur golf committees are a joke, making decisions only a qualified, experienced person can. Power goes to their heads.
I play in a pro am at a club in the Cotswolds, burford. The green keeper is a lovely bloke. Really know a his stuff, 5 handicap, and we have played with him in the comp a few times. He talks us around "His course" as we have played, it is beautiful.He gets no interference from the greens committee, and makes all the big decisions. That would be the ideal for me, and i do think the course manager should play the course and be paid for doing so.
Some golfers are nobs. Played with a "new" member this morning. 4 handicap. Stood all around his ball in the deep rough and parted it with his hands, marked his ball with his hands covering it, alerted me to him nicking three inches on every putt.. Told him on the sixth, that I had seen what he was doing. Shall not be playing with him again, and everyone had been alerted,

Agree about amateur committees. One year we had a low handicap head of greens he was a left hander ! He got us to build a new tee on the 14th which was up hill and ran from left to right into woodland. Every right handed golf me included would start the ball of to the left hopefully landing on the left of the fairway so if the ball ran it would stay on the right hand side of the fairway.
He built this tee to the left of the fairway which meant there was a big tree in the way if you started of left lol. Its was ok for him as he would start his tee shot of to the right to bring it back to the left. I would stand on the tee and not have a shot. I said to him that theres no shot for a right hander, he said I know I need one hole that's set up for a left hander lol. Even if I hit dead straight I just miss the tree but the ball would always end up run down the left to right slope into the semi rough as you only had half the fairway to work with lol
The club spent about 15k building this tee that 99% of the members hated lol

Over a ten year period each committee every year would change the bunkers, change sand, the lining, to drainage, the shape. All the members thought the sand was wrong. So one year we changed all the sand for white sand which costs 3 times the price of the old sand. Two years later we took all that white sand out and replaced with the original type of sand. I think over the 10 year period the club spent well over 200k on 46 bunkers. They didnt have a clue what shape particles or size of sand they should be using.
I would write reports etc saying what's best , that the bunkers arent deep enough that's why we lose sand to wind blow etc. But they had seen white sand on a parkland course so wanted it on our exposed, hill top course about 3 miles from the north sea lol, of course it just kept blowing away leave some parts of the bunker bare some parts to deep and lots of sand across the greens etc !!
Wrong sand, wrong course, wrong bunkers. This sand was ok in the right place but we need a heavier sand and deeper bunkers due to strong winds !

Amateur committees cost they clubs 1000's of wasted money. Members course would so much better if they just left the head/course manager to manage the course.

Last edited:
Is anyone on here a member of Playmore golf ? It’s being introduced at my local club Romiley , it’s £399 but you can’t play in the comps on a Saturday only Sunday which there are hardly none what’s so ever . Would be tempted if I could play in the Saturday comps with my mates

Agree about amateur committees. One year we had a low handicap head of greens he was a left hander ! He got us to build a new tee on the 14th which was up hill and ran from left to right into woodland. Every right handed golf me included would start the ball of to the left hopefully landing on the left of the fairway so if the ball ran it would stay on the right hand side of the fairway.
He built this tee to the left of the fairway which meant there was a big tree in the way if you started of left lol. Its was ok for him as he would start his tee shot of to the right to bring it back to the left. I would stand on the tee and not have a shot. I said to him that theres no shot for a right hander, he said I know I need one hole that's set up for a left hander lol. Even if I hit dead straight I just miss the tree but the ball would always end up run down the left to right slope into the semi rough as you only had half the fairway to work with lol
The club spent about 15k building this tee that 99% of the members hated lol

Over a ten year period each committee every year would change the bunkers, change sand, the lining, to drainage, the shape. All the members thought the sand was wrong. So one year we changed all the sand for white sand which costs 3 times the price of the old sand. Two years later we took all that white sand out and replaced with the original type of sand. I think over the 10 year period the club spent well over 200k on 46 bunkers. They didnt have a clue what shape particles or size of sand they should be using.
I would write reports etc saying what's best , that the bunkers arent deep enough that's why we lose sand to wind blow etc. But they had seen white sand on a parkland course so wanted it on our exposed, hill top course about 3 miles from the north sea lol, of course it just kept blowing away leave some parts of the bunker bare some parts to deep and lots of sand across the greens etc !!
Wrong sand, wrong course, wrong bunkers. This sand was ok in the right place but we need a heavier sand and deeper bunkers due to strong winds !

Amateur committees cost they clubs 1000's of wasted money. Members course would so much better if they just left the head/course manager to manage the course.

One course i was a member at let the Captain each year, build a bunker, or whatever change he wanted normally in the wrong spot, just as you described.

check out Vossman on you tube, going on about the edge of a club, never seen it before.

Just bought some Callaway Rogue 2020 irons 5-PW.

Hoping they can bring my score down as been playing with 25 year old Titleist DTR all summer.

Although after nailing a couple of birdies and 5 pars this morning I probably shouldn't have bothered!

Just dug out an old set of Mizuno MX17 (circa 2005 it looks like!), wanting to pick it back up again as im WFH and don't do any other sport.

Plan is to get down the range for a good few weeks to see if I still got the basics and then depending on the rules id like to have a few lessons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.