Good Football-Related Writing

mad4city

I read this post from @Eebo on the United thread and I though it was a very good idea...
The quoted article is from one of the most underrated football writers at work today. That's not to say that I always agree with Barney Ronay; it's just that I think he expresses himself well.
Anyway, if you discoveran article that they think is well written, you might like to share it here...

Some wonderful writing from Barney Ronay in the the first couple of paragraphs about Mourinho that really made me smile

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...throttle-stand-still-sterling-kane-pochettino

Would love to create a new thread for 'good football writing' but don't have the required number of posts.

As a side point, can anyone advise how many posts I need to be able to start a thread??

I read this post from @Eebo on the United thread and I though it was a very good idea...
The quoted article is from one of the most underrated football writers at work today. That's not to say that I always agree with Barney Ronay; it's just that I think he expresses himself well.
Anyway, if you discoveran article that they think is well written, you might like to share it here...

Cheers fella, thanks for setting this up.

You don't have to agree with what is being said to appreciate the way it is written or to find it stimulating.

I wouldn't want this to be simply 'positive about City' football writing, or invective diatribe against rivals, more about the art of writing or great turn of phrase

So much football writing is totally uncreative, one-eyed and biased space filling or click-bait that it comes as quite a shock to read something as good as Barney Ronay's description of Mourinho. It is actually quite gentle but very truthful and quite telling. I remember reading his description of Yaya from a few years back several times because it made me chuckle every time. If anyone can find that would love to read it again.

Some of Martin Samuel's pieces also show a view of football that doesn't follow the herd and are really well written. Not sure how much else there is out there to sustain this thread though!

Not a bad article, nice of some writers to notice something other than the neverending managerial posturing every time someone gives them the floor. Still a bit too Guardian though. It's as if he's trying to show that he's a novel writer but has been saddled with sports for the time being. Great descriptive caricature of Mourinho and some insightful observations but I forgot what I was reading through the middle of it. I tend to like Barney too

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.