Good Kinky/tactics article

Interesting article. The main argument is well made although Frank Clarke's explanation's of the tactical problems seem somewhat disingenuous. In the second half of the 96/97 season Clarke played Gio in a free roll behind Rosler. This worked very well, we won a lot more than we lost and as well as getting the best out of Kinkladze it also got the best out of Uve and Nicky Summerbee (our three best players along with Kevin Horlock). The problems came at the start of the 97/98 season when Clark wanted to fit Bradbury into the team so played three in midfield, tried three at the back, left out Summerbee for Ged Brannan and basically undid all the good work he'd done in the previous season.

Clarke clearly couldn't see the wood for the trees and couldn't judge a good player from a poor one. However, had Clarke left things more as less as they had been at the end of 96/97 we'd have been nowhere near relegation.

Interesting article. The main argument is well made although Frank Clarke's explanation's of the tactical problems seem somewhat disingenuous. In the second half of the 96/97 season Clarke played Gio in a free roll behind Rosler. This worked very well, we won a lot more than we lost and as well as getting the best out of Kinkladze it also got the best out of Uve and Nicky Summerbee (our three best players along with Kevin Horlock). The problems came at the start of the 97/98 season when Clark wanted to fit Bradbury into the team so played three in midfield, tried three at the back, left out Summerbee for Ged Brannan and basically undid all the good work he'd done in the previous season.

Clarke clearly couldn't see the wood for the trees and couldn't judge a good player from a poor one. However, had Clarke left things more as less as they had been at the end of 96/97 we'd have been nowhere near relegation.

My sentiments exactly when I read the article.

At the back end of the season the form was much improved and the system was working perfectly as evidenced by the Oxford game on Tv and I think Southend?? where Kinkladze scored a curler from the edge of the box and had a quite wonderful assist.

Clarke wasted money and squad places on the likes of Van Blerk/Scully and then wasted most of the transfer budget on Bradbury in addition to selling Beagrie.

£3.5m on Bradbury for a club in our position was absolute madness. Goes to show the terrible mismanagement of funds there was at the time, coming towards the end of a decade of royally messing up a half decent position.

I was a kid when kinky was around so wasn't arsed about tactics, I just loved the fact he could run past 5 and score. I still do.

£3.5m on Bradbury for a club in our position was absolute madness. Goes to show the terrible mismanagement of funds there was at the time, coming towards the end of a decade of royally messing up a half decent position.

I was a kid when kinky was around so wasn't arsed about tactics, I just loved the fact he could run past 5 and score. I still do.

That was Frank Clark begging Lee to sign him. What a fuckin disaster he was.

The size of our squad back then, must have had 50 first team players on our books..

Badbuy ended his career playing in midfield for Barnsley.. i seem to remeber Pompy buying him fot 500 quid the season before we spent 3.5m on him..

We were really badly run in those days. Remeber flitcroft going for a song, paul walsh plus a million quid for gerry creany.. nial quinn going for modest fee.. tony coton.. need i go on..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.