Good Lord! Is This a Good Thing...??

You only have to see what lockdowns did for many of us when we either weren’t working or just working from home here or there.

I got myself into the best shape I’d been in for 15 years. Instead of waking up in the morning to go to work, I was getting up in the morning to exercise and then cook and go for walks in the afternoon. I had time to watch documentaries all the time, learning new things.

What we have to do is change the monetary system so that we aren’t all put out of a job by the AI but still needing money to pay for everything.
You're absolutely right. UBI is just that thing. No need for any other welfare system for the able mind and bodied. No state pensions. recoup cost through taxation of AI, the abolition of all other welfare systems and tax of people spending their extra income. Let alone all of the heath benefits both mental and physical. Even the local scrote won't rob a bike for their skunk.

Aye, this is the conundrum.

And what happens when 'profit' chasing is no longer a thing?

Nobody builds these things 'for the benefit of mankind'! There's always someone who 'wants to rule the world' as well!!

LOL!
A UBI won't change "profit chasing". What do you think people will do with the extra income? It's a post scarcity world ( at least in the manufacture of things) that would lead the world away from chasing wealth.

I read in Rutger Bergman's book utopia for realists about a ubi experiment in the 70's that was kiboshed after a few years and forgotten about, the results were published decades later after the records were found boxed up in a loft somewhere

A quick Google found a BBC article about it https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200624-canadas-forgotten-universal-basic-income-experiment

In the book there was evidence that the families on ubi were still living higher quality of life (longer lifespan, children achieving higher grades) generations down the line - is a good book if it's yer hing

UBI should be the way we go, unfortunately I'm a cynic and don't see it ever happening.

Last edited:
A UBI won't change "profit chasing". What do you think people will do with the extra income? It's a post scarcity world ( at least in the manufacture of things) that would lead the world away from chasing wealth.

Look, I'm with you on it.

Anybody will tell you that if you look at the political threads.

You would concur with Richard Wolff's assessment of capitalism.

My biggest hope for the world is automation leads to a UBI and a post scarcity society which will change the human race. People would be far less stressed, eat better. Imagine not having to work or in the short term working 10/15 hr weeks, people would clean the streets. Spend time with the residents of care homes.

You will always get the doom daily mail readers who think that people would just sit on their arse getting pissed but in the vast majority people would educate, exercise, express themselves creatively. In a post scarcity society the accumulation of things would seem less important and the sharing of cars or even homes would be commonplace.

People scoff at the idea of a UBI but it's inevitable, it will 100% have to happen. Some of the biggest companies in the world inc the likes of amazon have allowed employees to cut down their hours and it will eventually cut them down even more. Jobs will disappear. Does anyone really believe haulage won't become automated? what about taxis? Accountancy? order picking?
What is a UBI and also if people are working less and less- how do we pay for out food and utilities = rent or mortgage?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.