Gordon Elliott

I got a phone call, so instinctively sat down. Yeah mate, OK, we've all accidentally straddled a dead horse by mistake while all our mates were gathered around watching and taking pictures
I just sat down, whilst obviously posing for a photo. I bet this is the tip of the iceberg. I bet the one who took the photo is revelling in his/her revenge after probably being sacked for something trivial 1

Not a good look and he's going to pay for the rest of his life. However, his horses, like most in training are well looked after and cared for in the very best way. It's a dead horse, not a dead person, crass, insensitive and very stupid but it's not even a crime let alone one he shouldn't be allowed to redress. A donation to the Injured Jockeys fund or a horse charity would be a more positive contribution than a ban.

There's a lot more abuse of live animals out there, this horse had died, nothing was going to change that, a moment of madness but for me I find the reaction to be way over the top.

I do agree with your sentiment that trophy hunting wildlife probably attracts "cunts" but it's way down my list of people to really despise, after Paedophiles, murderers, terrorists, rapists, drug dealers, burglars, muggers, scammers, abusers, Rags and Dippers.

Seems a bit odd to be bigging up how great a life this horse had when it's been made to run so hard it had a heart attack.

"You know apart from being worked to death at a ridiculously young age and having some fat twat fuck about and pose with your corpse, it's a great life!"

Seems a bit odd to be bigging up how great a life this horse had when it's been made to run so hard it had a heart attack.

"You know apart from being worked to death at a ridiculously young age and having some fat twat fuck about and pose with your corpse, it's a great life!"
Racehorses are not worked to death, they generally have the best of life (for a horse). Trainers operate under a strict licence and any trainer abusing the animals face severe punishment. Racehorses are not run hard on the gallops, a heart attack can happen for different reasons.

The stable lads and lasses would not stand for a horse in their care (usually 2 or 3) being abused, it's a vocation for them and their horse's welfare is paramount. I think you probably know next to nothing about racing and the industry but you are being influenced by the emotion of seeing a magnificent beast at the end of life. As I said Gordon Elliott was very stupid doing what he did and he's paying for it.

The silly fuckers who used to do the "Munich" gestures were just as bad in my eyes but they're forgiven now and thankfully that behaviour is a thing of the past. Elliott should be allowed a mistake with punishment but it doesn't define who he is.

Probably a sacked one....

I love horse racing, second sport to football but It's a disgraceful thing to do, shows the sport in a very bad light.

I remember Ruby Walsh taking a few years ago about a horse he'd been in falling and dying at probably Cheltenham, he was blasé and didn't give a fuck about the horse which I found very distasteful too. Makes you wonder where the money is at the top how many are like that.
I remember that interview but Walsh had just seen his friend and fellow jockey JP Macnanara suffer a horrendous fall at Cheltenham which paralysed him and ultimately a couple of years later lead to his death. He was putting a human life in context with one of an animal, he wasn't being disrespectful, he was very upset. If my mate and his dog died in an accident I know which one I'd grieve the most for, not even a close call.

I remember that interview but Walsh had just seen his friend and fellow jockey JP Macnanara suffer a horrendous fall at Cheltenham which paralysed him and ultimately a couple of years later lead to his death. He was putting a human life in context with one of an animal, he wasn't being disrespectful, he was very upset. If my mate and his dog died in an accident I know which one I'd grieve the most for, not even a close call.
Yeah you've just jogged my memory about JP, fair enough, still it would probably have been better to not get interviewed in that case.

Yeah you've just jogged my memory about JP, fair enough, still it would probably have been better to not get interviewed in that case.
He's done it a couple of times, think he's just trying to be honest but as you say, should have said nothing.

Edit, got my J's mixed up, JT not JP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.