Got rats !

A couple of years ago, I saw one on my back deck and my dog went ape shit! I told the wife it was a mouse (fkin big mouse!) otherwise she would never have gone on the deck again... literally! Any how's sometime later when I opened my grill, the foooker shot out the back and when I took the grill plates off this was obviously where it had been 'living' !! So at least I knew this now and told the wife that the "inlet suppression valve" had gone and I had sent off for a new one but it would be weeks (the obvious question of why don't we just buy a new grill came up but after 27 years, the wife knows better, once I get something in my head nothing is gonna sway me!) Which gave me time to devise a cunning plan!!

I bought the biggest mouse/rat trap I could find, and believe me this was huge, asked around the good old boys in the area and baited the trap with …………..peanut butter, apparently the little bastards go crazy for the stuff. Nothing happened for a couple of days as I checked it each evening. Then when we were all out on the deck one Sunday afternoon enjoying the evening Georgia sun, there was a very loud snap/crack and the wife said, "what's that".. to which I replied, it was just the metal plates contracting after being in the sun all day, nothing to worry about! (I was an Engineer in a previous life and that sometimes helps the debates with my lovely wife!) As soon as the sun was down, I went out to 'clean my grill' ready for the part arriving that week ;-)
and …………….. there it was, a huge horrible fucking rat with a badly broken back!! I hastily put it into a bin liner (using the grill tongs, which I subsequently also threw away) and chucked it into the trash (bin :-)!!)
to this day the wife doesn't know we ever had a rat, lone one at that it seems as I have never seen one since, plus my dog is a demon and would seriously go for them!

So very long story short, buy the biggest rat trap you can find and use peanut butter as bait! Don't touch it with your hands btw, they sense humans that way, I put it on the trap with a piece of wood from the yard!

moved out to the country 2 yrs ago , always suspected we had rats (next door keeps chickens)
But just lately we’ve seen the buggers , several times .
I,ve tried traps , poison but only from the pound shop, seen 2 or 3 in the garden tonight ,want rid of them .
Does anybody here have an air rifle they want to sell for reasonable price ,powerful enough to see a few off?
Also any good advice?
get a proper rat trap,not a mouse trap, and bait it with chocolate, works every time

You protest too much.
Rabies in bats is only carried by one species, Daubenton’s bat.
There has only ever been 1 case of rabies transmitted by bat to human in the UK ever.
There have only ever been 16 bats found carrying it in the UK ever.

Why didn't you post this earlier as this afternoon I killed 26 just in case they were rabied.

Jack Russell's mate, they will kill them all full stop, but poison will delete the nest and babies etc.

Manchester terriers were purpose bred for rats...unlike every other breed type mentioned. Plummers are about the best of the rest which isnt suprising given plummer was very involved with rat hunting types and obviously the best of these had a great fecundity to the breed. Russells love to kill a rat 4 times whilst 5 escape, patterdales ( black fells) are so wired theyll dive in and rag halfbrick whilst you're digging to them...fox's are better rat catchers than dogs, most small lurchers are better than most terriers with the exception of working a tip. Used to own a bonny fell x lakeland that took ratting to the next level, he'd worked out that the fastest way to the next rat was to eat the one your on (woosh-gone) and rats thinking they were somewhat tricky diving underwater didnt reign long...he could stay under on track till rhe ripples had gone.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.