Grange Hill film

Yeah, the good old days when Gripper could call Roland a fat **** and nick his dinner money every day without some woke bastard teacher telling him it was wrong.
The problem with Woke writing is that it just isn’t funny or interesting. You dont have to be hurtful to be funny, but you also don’t have to go so far the other way that the whole situation becomes sanitised.

The problem with Woke writing is that it just isn’t funny or interesting. You dont have to be hurtful to be funny, but you also don’t have to go so far the other way that the whole situation becomes sanitised.
Agree mate. And Grange Hill trod that line well. It was gritty and realistic- when I watched it back the other week it took me right back to my schooldays.

Agree mate. And Grange Hill trod that line well. It was gritty and realistic- when I watched it back the other week it took me right back to my schooldays.
Cracking show. Tackled real scary stuff, Zammo’s storyline scared the life out of me.. the woke version would have an ‘intervention’ and his empowerment to a better life. Which is barely ever the case in reality.

I was a big fan as i was just the right age, being at secondary school from 81-86, same year as the second batch of "stars" like Zammo and Roland.

We got Britbox recently and all the original episodes are on there. I've watched a few and they are quite incredible little time capsules. Racism, bullying, fighting, smoking etc all goes on every day and let's just say it causes an awful lot less of a stir with the teachers back then than it does now. My kids couldn't believe it.

I hope there's a bit of a nostalgic comeback because it's an overlooked cultural icon of that era.
Agree. It was very hard-hitting. I was at secondary school between those years too but I was a fan from day one - I was only 7 when Benny Green walked through those school gates at the start of the first episode so it was probably a little too grown-up for me back then but I loved it regardless.

I liked that second breed too and there's a lot of talk of Gripper who was a great character but who remembers the original bully Booga Benson? He battered Tucker at the end of one episode and many of us were left wondering if he was dead after the final scene. The lead-up to that incident starts about 24 minutes in:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.