Great Britain Lions Rugby League Tour 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Some real nostalgia seeing that jersey out again. Nostalgia in the form of us getting battered time and time again by Australia. But great to have it back all the same.

One of my boyhood heroes that fella in that picture,fantastic player he was,kept a pretty low personal life,certainly whilst playing,never spoke to media,but did hear one pretty bad story but as a player,wow,a proper warrior.

I see him every now and then cos I do some work for Ellery.

I’ve only just caught up with the game from yesterday due to the City game.

First and foremost, the referee was a fucking disgrace. The amount of lying on and messing about at the PTB by NZ that he continually allowed, slowing us down all the time, was scandalous.

He ruined the game as a spectacle and could have caused some more serious fights than the scuffles that did ensue because he just allowed NZ to basically cheat all game that frustrated our lads.

He shit himself when the big decisions came round - Marshall high tackled Hall to stop a try, which is at least a Sin Bin, and the ref just brushed over it and gave just a penalty.

And when Hastings made that great break, Philbin was pulled back and he was going to be the support runner. The ref did NOTHING!

Onto the game: GB played with no intensity and no invention at all. I can’t help but feel that Bennett’s coaching is outdated. And by love it’s BORING! One-out running with absolutely no creativity at all. It’s supposed to be the entertainment business but it was about as entertaining as watching grass grow.

Josh Hodgson is a boring RL player. Steady, consistent, yes. But boring. All he does is pass from dummy half or take three steps from dummy half and then pass which just reduces the space for the ball receiver. He does absolutely nothing to commit any defenders to him to create space for the player he passes to and he hasn’t got a dummy half run in him. He causes absolutely ZERO panic in the opposition defence. I felt the same watching him in that NRL GF where the only true X Factor Canberra had was Whiteon. At the very top level (GFs/test matches) you need an X Factor, you have to have something special at Hooker but Hodgson just simply doesn’t have it.

McGilvary has to do better. He had an eye catching World Cup but when it really mattered in the World Cup Final he should have passed to Widdop for a try but didn’t, and froze when that ball went through and he missed the ball when trying to kick it. Yesterday, he should have passed to Hardaker on the break and he seriously had to score that try, he didn’t protect the ball at all.

It looks like Hall is now injured and McGilvary isn’t good enough yet Bennett hasn’t taken any other wingers on the tour (which is fucking ridiculous). So now we’re going to go into the final games with players playing out of position.

All-in-all a very frustrating tour so far. I’m really disappointed!

And I hope that we do not see that disgrace of a referee again!

I couldn't be arsed about the ref, Psychedelic Casual. We were masters of our own downfall.

However, I can't give you a single argument about the rest of your post, particularly the bit about Hodgson. All that play in the NRL, are not necessarily gold. He's a ball passer, and that's it.
And as for Bennett, Gawd 'elp us.

I couldn't be arsed about the ref, Psychedelic Casual. We were masters of our own downfall.

However, I can't give you a single argument about the rest of your post, particularly the bit about Hodgson. All that play in the NRL, are not necessarily gold. He's a ball passer, and that's it.
And as for Bennett, Gawd 'elp us.
Shaun Wane has to be the next coach and I’d get him in after this tour and build up for the Ashes test series next year and the World Cup the year after, both in this country.

I think his style is ideal for international rugby.

Bennett is a rugby league great, but he’s a dinosaur now. Rugby has moved on since he last won anything (9 years ago).

And British players are a lot less robotic than the Aussies, we play with more open play and take more chances than they do. We don’t suit this boring style that Bennett has brought to us. The players we have want to throw the ball around, have some scoots from dummy half, create some overlaps and try our arm at scoring tries.

Our lads aren’t suited to boring arm wrestles.

Papua New Guinea are roughing us up here.

We look short on confidence after a poor tour, and have players out of position after a silly squad selection where we’ve over-selected in some positions and under-selected in others.

This tour has been a national disgrace!

BENNET OUT!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.