Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by The blue phantom, 22 Sep 2018.

1. xgorton

xgorton

19,500 Huddersfield game,45,800 Newcastle game boxing day.

2. Zin 'messiah' Zimmer

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer

Have to agree, my first full season was 89, the 5-1 first derby, however, I think only Hamburg at the Etihad Has come close to that last derby, it was electric, the whole feeling was like every blue had wanted to scream but kept it in for a decade, still resonates... I remember falling off the barriers in the Maine stand (the ones attached to the tunnels at the front),when the goat bagged the third, one of my fav football memories (the goal that is)..

manimanc likes this.
  3. tommybooth

tommybooth

Ten one was good.

4. AliBobbyJ

AliBobbyJ

Apologies for this but the Man U. v
    Bilbao European Cup match played at Maine Road was a cracker, Utd won 3-0 to overturn 5-3 in the first leg. Didn't know then I shouldn't cheer them.

So ban me?

5. burnley blue mcfc

burnley blue mcfc

Team supported:
    Manchester city
    Maine road was half empty that cold november day, think att was about 18,000 without googling it??

6. oakiecokie

oakiecokie

Thanks to all of you who responded to my guess work at the 28,000 for the 10-1 game v Huddersfield.WOW less than 20,000.Thankfully I was there that day to witness the 3 hat tricks.Wonder if this counts better than a trip to York ?? ;)

7. 1961_vintage

1961_vintage

Lucky enough to have been at most of the games mentioned but this was a standout for me. The Kippax was so rammed you had to fight for space just to breathe. Incredible night.

dennishasdoneit likes this.
  8. denislawsbackheel

denislawsbackheel

Yep.
    Peter Barnes was on fire that night.

dennishasdoneit likes this.
  9. franksinatra

franksinatra

Bit younger than some posting but stand out games included most Manchester derbies, in particular the 1-1 or 0-0 circa 92/93 when the big city flag was passed over the Kippax.

Spurs in the Cup was great especially the 5/10 minutes after Sheron had opened the scoring.

When it became all seater Stoke (with the second half comeback) 98/99, Wigan play offs 98/99, Newcastle in the carabao cup 94/95? when Rosler equalised and Boro in the Fa cup (Juninho v Kinkladze) 96/97.

One last one and worth watching is City v West Ham in the Fa Cup when Kinkladze scored that memorable goal.

When kinky started that run the front of the North Stand literally jumped out of their seats as he slalomed his way to goal. Would love to see that excitement again.

10. gordondaviesmoustache

gordondaviesmoustache

An early form of asbestos removal.

krswanny and warpig like this.