Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

Thanks to all of you who responded to my guess work at the 28,000 for the 10-1 game v Huddersfield.WOW less than 20,000.Thankfully I was there that day to witness the 3 hat tricks.Wonder if this counts better than a trip to York ?? ;)
I was there that day, sat in the Main Stand, and remember just before McNab scored remarking to myself how empty the ground looked, especially the North Stand.

I was there that day, sat in the Main Stand, and remember just before McNab scored remarking to myself how empty the ground looked, especially the North Stand.

Funny thing was it was one of the biggest attendances around that time. Hudds was midway through a good run prior to that form was poor, the kids were struggling and attendances were a bit lower. Probably a blessing, but that run of form, suggested a promotion push was on the cards. Nixons sending off against Palace put paid to that.

Funny thing was it was one of the biggest attendances around that time. Hudds was midway through a good run prior to that form was poor, the kids were struggling and attendances were a bit lower. Probably a blessing, but that run of form, suggested a promotion push was on the cards. Nixons sending off against Palace put paid to that.
Not sure I agree with your analysis on the attendance, which I will hazard is in the lowest ten in a league game since we got promoted in ‘66.

Agreed that the Palace game marked the end of what remains one of my favourite run of games as a City fan - and our promotion ambitions that season.

Not sure I agree with your analysis on the attendance, which I will hazard is in the lowest ten in a league game since we got promoted in ‘66.

Agreed that the Palace game marked the end of what remains one of my favourite run of games as a City fan - and our promotion ambitions that season.

I was more referring to the few months prior to this game so it coild possibly in the bottom ten. That season was probably the lowest average attendance we had since 1966 from memory.

Just had a quick look and it was our 9th league match of the season and only the first 2 had larger crowds, the opening day match against Plymouth and a local derby v Blackburn the following 6 matches had lower than the Huddersfield match.

It was an exciting time watching so many local lads come through and the goalscoring exploits of Paul Stewart.

Yes great to hear a constant roar everytime we stepped over the halfway line. Something you rarely hear nowadays possibly with the exception of Pool last season.

Yep Pretty rare. Spurs in CL, Scousers in league and first half v scousers in CL season before. Rags first half in 100 point season was a great atmosphere too. Not so great 2nd half!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.