Greatest match of all time……….

Any1aBlue

Brazil V France
World Cup 1/4 final 1986
1-1

So closely matched, it had to be decided on penalties. Was probably the best x22 of world class individuals seen collectively on a pitch imo, the skill levels were beyond anything seen previously. if you can, watch this game in its entirety again, it’s wonderful. Zico, Socrates, Junior and platini with tigana - what memories.
sadly, it ultimately showed how overhyped England players were and continue to be.

Brazil V France
World Cup 1/4 final 1986
1-1

So closely matched, it had to be decided on penalties. Was probably the best x22 of world class individuals seen collectively on a pitch imo, the skill levels were beyond anything seen previously. if you can, watch this game in its entirety again, it’s wonderful. Zico, Socrates, Junior and platini with tigana - what memories.
sadly, it ultimately showed how overhyped England players were and continue to be.
That takes me back...I used to absolutely love the world cups, seeing those Brazilians and Argies live, it was something else

Surely the greatest game in history was on New Year’s Day, 1973.

Brazil V France
World Cup 1/4 final 1986
1-1

Some great games then from around 1982-86.

Brazil v USSR 1982
Brazil v Italy 1982
France v W.Germany 1982
France v Portugal 1984
Denmark v Uruguay 1986
Brazil v France 1986.

France were great over that period. Some forget how good Platini was as a player, absolutely magnificent, one of the best in the World. As was Zico for Brazil - both coming to the end of great careers in the 86 World Cup.

Last edited:
Never been a huge fan of international games, I struggle to watch other teams play at any level.
So my greatest games are City away at Arsenal a night game that ended 2-2 with White and Ward scoring. Two days before my birthday and I was at the game.
The other of note has to be the F.A cup Spuds 3 City 4.
Of course QPR and Villa games are up there too. Oh and sick swan, oh and ……….

I've always thought City 2-1 Liverpool in 2019 was the greatest Premier League match of all time. Both teams played extremely well and I'm certain there's never been a league game played in England with that level of quality and performance across both sides on show.

We had to play at our absolute best to beat them and I remember thinking after the game 'how is anyone else going to beat them if it took that level of performance from ourselves to get the win?'. Turns out no one else did beat them.....but we still won the league! Probably the most intense ever title race as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.