Greatest premier league team

Straight away we can probably discount any team in the pre-prem era given that it was mainly Brits playing with no internationals. In the prem era, the invincible would be the team to beat except that the 4-5-1 teams of Mourinho and United from 04-09 consistently outperformed the crux of that side. From 09-17, I don’t think there were any great teams, our team of 13/14 was probably a similar level to the Chelsea and United teams a few years before but this team we’ve got now absolutely blows all 3 of those sides out of the water. No question we are the greatest.

If we win the league again next season we will get more praise. For some reason winning one isn't enough. Pep is building a team that can do that and deliver the CL and then we will be regarded as one of the best European sides of all time.

It is all part of a debate. Real were not an amazing side this season but won their third CL in a row which is an incredible achievement in this day and age.

Not read all the thread but did Arsenal win the league the following year after the Invincibles year ? I don't think they did and they are a barometer of a great team . What we did won't be beaten for many a year if ever .. so yea wr are the greatest premier team ever .

Not read all the thread but did Arsenal win the league the following year after the Invincibles year ? I don't think they did and they are a barometer of a great team . What we did won't be beaten for many a year if ever .. so yea wr are the greatest premier team ever .
nope - chelsea got their first PL title the year after, with them being unbeaten that entire season but for one game... at the Etihad with Anelka scoring a penalty to beat them 1-0

Given a Tardis and an unbiased referee, I think the current City side would get the better of that Liverpool team. Like every other team though, they cannot match the 100 points total.
Statistically the best Liverpool side was 1978-79 (Pre Grobbelaar but not Souness) at 3 points for a win they get 98 points but at 2 points for a win they get 68 points (as we would at 2 points for a win) but having played 4 less games less we have a points percentage of 87.72% compared with Liverpool's 80.05%.

BTW what are you going to do about the pass back rule in the match up game?

We can cement our standing by defending the title and the argument ends.

We are statistically but it's more than just that. I've watched football for 50 years and City in the season just ended were the best team I have seen in this country.

Most of the reasons put forward why City are not the GOAT are inane rubbish that is easily dismissed. They are often a combination of bile and bollocks. After City won at Everton, one comment from an Arsenal fan was that this City side had been bought unlike the Invincibles of 2003-4 that Wenger built. I suppose Terry Henry came free with a packet of Frosties and Dennis Bergkamp doesn’t count because he was a Bruce Rioch purchase; likewise, Sol Campbell was playing for free, being a Bosman. Jens Lehmann of course was a native of Islington… Hang on a minute, what the hell has how players were acquired got to do with how they rate as a team? Absolutely sweet FA.

The most compelling argument against this City side’s greatness is that its only got one trophy winning season to offer as evidence. A case can be made that true greatness for a football team should encompass success over an extended period but isn’t it funny that when people talk about other contenders it’s the Invincibles, the treble winning side of 1998/9 and the 2004/5 Chelsea side; in other words, references to teams in a particular season. Those seasons were not isolated successes for the respective clubs, but they were pinnacles and those teams were not unchanged from season to season.

When looking at the pre-Premier League era; I have long considered the best English club side (certainly that I’ve seen) prior to that point to be:

Bruce Grobbelaar

Phil Neal

Alan Kennedy

Mark Lawrenson

Alan Hansen

Kenny Dalglish

Sammy Lee

Craig Johnston

Ian Rush

Ronnie Whelan

Graeme Souness

Now that is a side that changed little over an extended, very successful period; although that did arguably peak in 1983/4 with a treble of the league, League Cup and European Cup. A major achievement but they did not play football as beautiful and sophisticated as City. And just look at where the players hail from – all from these Isles aside from a random Aussie. City have a huge advantage by comparison that they can use players from football nations who simply produce more talented players than the UK and Ireland.

Given a Tardis and an unbiased referee, I think the current City side would get the better of that Liverpool team. Like every other team though, they cannot match the 100 points total.
Plus back in the day, if you were a good side all you had to do was get a lead and pass it back to your goalkeeper for the rest of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.