"Greed of 'big six' will kill our game"

Correct.

I was talking about this with an Everton's fan a while ago and he just couldn't get it.

Fuck them. Everton were one of the original 'big 5' and didn't give a stuff about anybody else.
And the irony is that they were only one of that 'big 5' because of the money pumped in by the Moores family, which gave them the nickname 'the Mersey Millionaires'. Soon as that dried up they just became an ordinary club.

This is a long way from Ian Ayre's wish of individual negotiations, like they have in Spain. It's also no different to the domestic deal, in that the more you're on tv and the higher up the league you finish, the more cash you get. Whilst the thought of 'equity' is good, the actuality is somewhat different. Suggest to the clubs threatened with relegation that all 'parachute money' is equally split amongst all teams in the championship, and they'll just laugh at you. It's a selective piece of nonsensical journalism and I would expect a little better from Oliver Kay.

Correct.

I was talking about this with an Everton's fan a while ago and he just couldn't get it.

"It's wrong what city have been allowed to do"
"Why?"
"Cos it's unfair. You haven't earned that money. You should develop your own players and progress that way"
"What, like SWP? You mean. Or Southampton?"
"Yeah."
"We had to sell SWP as he had his head turned by Chelsea, and we needed the money and Southampton sell their best young players every season"

And round and round it went.

Fuck them. Everton were one of the original 'big 5' and didn't give a stuff about anybody else. They just didn't know that they would be unable to turn their advantage at the time into on field success and would eventually get left behind.

And now, at best, they are a mid table side who may have an odd cup run and thanks to their, and others, myopia that's all they will ever be.

It makes me feel all warm inside.
Trying to hold a common sense debate with an Everton fan? Deary me. You may as well try to knit fog.

And the irony is that they were only one of that 'big 5' because of the money pumped in by the Moores family, which gave them the nickname 'the Mersey Millionaires'. Soon as that dried up they just became an ordinary club.

You're quite right, I'd forgotten about that.

And you know what? For the average Everton fan it's a shame - I've generally found them to be pretty decent people (in fact, controversially, much as I hate both their clubs I've rarely if ever met a scouser I didn't instantly take to).

We may have been at the meeting, but is there anything to suggest we favoured the 'big 6' argument ?

It would appear to me, to be an attempt by the clubs who have cashed in on 'historical' success to use their popularity to gain a bigger share of the kitty, precisely to try & ward off clubs like us, who threaten to overtake them in the next 10-20 years.

I'd be surprised if we voted for that.

If City were a team in Everton's position I'd be pissed off as well. No team has a hope of breaking this top 6 dominance for the foreseeable future. But for so many years we were one of those underdog teams. It's hard not to be glad and relieved that we're one of the elite now. I still think we're some way behind the rags and dippers in terms of a global brand but you can see us getting there eventually. It's bittersweet in some ways. I know Ricky Hatton has said in the past that he misses the pre-money City and I sort of know what he means.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.