"Greed of 'big six' will kill our game"

What makes you think the premier league doesn't contribute to the exchequer?

they sold the name from BSkyB back to Sky and Rupert Murdoch’s and built a european company so the company is not british base anymore so paying tax to the british government would be like the others offshore companies very little

if the government are getting involved with the FA then its about money and whats going out of the game to sky and the premier league mega bucks tv deals and they only have to pump little money back into the grass roots and lower leagues with both bodies running football in england why the biggest company pays nothing really back to the game the government smells a rat and knows the tax income could be £billions so they will want a slice of the pie

they sold the name from BSkyB back to Sky and Rupert Murdoch’s and built a european company so the company is not british base anymore so paying tax to the british government would be like the others offshore companies very little

if the government are getting involved with the FA then its about money and whats going out of the game to sky and the premier league mega bucks tv deals and they only have to pump little money back into the grass roots and lower leagues with both bodies running football in england why the biggest company pays nothing really back to the game the government smells a rat and knows the tax income could be £billions so they will want a slice of the pie
Sky's incorporation has absolutely nothing to do with the Premier League, if the government want to do something about that they'll need to look at legislation. Are they going to attempt to take over every sport covered by Sky? Nationalise Vodafone and Facebook?

Sky's incorporation has absolutely nothing to do with the Premier League, if the government want to do something about that they'll need to look at legislation. Are they going to attempt to take over every sport covered by Sky? Nationalise Vodafone and Facebook?

football is a money maker big money is spent in england on football and much of it goes right out into accounts overseas if the FA had full control of all the leagues and the premier league it would be a tax that the government can control and make alot of money from football but with sky and the premier league its out of there hands the FA are really powerless in the game today they don't have a say in the big league and that's not good for the FA and the government

like it or not Sky's incorporation own the premier league and tv rights why did we have a break away league back in 1992 it was on a backing from sky that clubs would get a better share in tv money and all clubs in the old division 1 back a break away league from the FA at that point the FA was powerless in the english game and the government just was not interested in football other than the hooligans and making the game safe the money was not that good at first only a couple of teams was breaking even

but now its a multi billion pound business and the money is not staying in england the government are not daft that bit of pie will taste very nice if they can force a single body running the game from the british islands and london or manchester based sky would also have to toe the line in tax

football is a money maker big money is spent in england on football and much of it goes right out into accounts overseas if the FA had full control of all the leagues and the premier league it would be a tax that the government can control and make alot of money from football but with sky and the premier league its out of there hands the FA are really powerless in the game today they don't have a say in the big league and that's not good for the FA and the government

like it or not Sky's incorporation own the premier league and tv rights why did we have a break away league back in 1992 it was on a backing from sky that clubs would get a better share in tv money and all clubs in the old division 1 back a break away league from the FA at that point the FA was powerless in the english game and the government just was not interested in football other than the hooligans and making the game safe the money was not that good at first only a couple of teams was breaking even

but now its a multi billion pound business and the money is not staying in england the government are not daft that bit of pie will taste very nice if they can force a single body running the game from the british islands and london or manchester based sky would also have to toe the line in tax
Where do you think the premier league are based?

i know what your saying about the premier league but its sky tv company that runs the game and holds all the power its about the money sky generate with its tv rights the governing body that is the premier league is just a little pawn to the sky media company and they say jump and EPL say how high without that media its worthless to football clubs

but its the government vote for me if they are not happy with the FA running the game and going to taking away funding then yes the premier league could become the main people running the game in england even the international game to lower level football meaning it wants a new FA that runs the game fully from top to bottom. now can the FA fight there corner i don't think they can does the government say to the premier league come on board and run the game with us then yes they would jump at that idea but will sky media group be happy i don't know would they be happy to play ball hahhaha

that's what am saying the government are not daft give the solo running of the english game to the premier league how can they say NO will the government have the power to bring in new rules in funding YES will sky media group be happy NO the power is back in the hands of the country its easy when you think about it

i did say about 5 years ago when manchester city become the richest club in the game in england united and skys super sunday clubs would take there ball home nothing shocks me anymore in the game even the european super league would not shock me if it happens in the next 5 years

They can whine and cry all they like but it will happen, the same as the premier league happened. Am I comfortable with it? No but as somebody said I would rather be one of those dining at the top table than someone feeding off the scraps, a situation we found ourselves in when the old top four had it all stitched up.

I have no doubt the others will try to stitch us up, just as the media and certain ref's have been doing since we had the audacity to upset the apple cart in 2008. When we won the title in 2012 we were only the FIFTH name on that trophy since the premier league's conception. Just Blackburn and ourselves had broken the stranglehold of the cartel yet I didn't hear too many complaining how unfair that was.

I wish we would buy every top player in the world, build a hundred thousand capacity stadium and fill it and win everything in sight for the next twenty years. After thirty five years of mediocrity that would go some way to making up for it. Fuck the rest of the snivelling scrotes who did everything in their power to stitch us up!

The élitism started earlier than '92.

It began when the original so-called 'big five' - rags, Spurs, l'Arse and the two dippers - insisted that all gate money be retained by the home team.

Early '80s, I think it was.

It was brought in after the 80/81 season. That season the so-called Big 5 finished 3rd, 5th, 8th,10th and 15th. By the end of 84/85 they finished 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 7th.

City were very much in favour of this at the time. Swales lobbied for it and voted for it, working closely with the chairmen of those other clubs to make it happen. Remember, over the period between 1975 and 1983, we were the third best supported club in aggregate behind Liverpool and United. Even in our relegation season in 1982/3, we were the fourth best supported, with Spurs also ahead of us that year. And this was despite our 82/3 average being 20% down on the previous season following the sale of Trevor Francis; everyone was suffering a drop in gates at the time, but none of the other big clubs suffered one anything near to being so dramatic in a single year. When we came back up in 1985/6, we had the fourth biggest gates behind the usual gruesome twosome plus reigning champions Everton.

The reason we didn't prosper as they did from this change was because Swales's financial mismanagement. He'd saddled us with such debt that, even with the financial boost this measure provided, we could barely pay the interest. If we'd been in a position to keep Trevor Francis and hadn't gone down in 1983, there's every chance that the Big Five would have been a Super Six (or some such). Swales would certainly have been pushing for it, and the profile of the club plus his position within the FA would IMO have meant the other 5 would have let us join in.

Anyway, we became shit so we remained morally clean. And now we can take the moral high ground when looking back on all this stuff! ;)

EDIT - One more point. Not having to share gate receipts with clubs who had comparatively tiny supports (Grimsby, Shrewsbury, Carlisle and the like) was a major reason why, even in pretty desperate financial straits, we were able to field a team that could challenge for promotion from the second tier under Billy McNeill. If the old rules had applied, I really think we could have seen a similar kind of side to our later one in the 1990s.

Last edited:
Football (and indeed any spectator sport) is totally different to all other type of business. Monopolies in sport are a disaster long term but fantastic in other business. Anyone in football who wants to hoover up all the cash is only in it short term. Look at Celtic -'infinite points clear - and no one gives a toss. Our league is the best in the world because a) Sky and the Premier League did a great job in early marketing and b) more teams have a chance of winning it here than any other major league. I would rather taken 5 percent of a pound than 10 percent of a penny

Still trying to shaft us though basing it on popularity. I dont think anyone in charge of football anywhere understands the concept of competition, they favour monopoly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.