Greek Holidays

We've had loads of holidays in Greece over the years and used to really enjoy being over there. When the financial crash hit, we all know how hard they got it and we noticed that the resorts started to get scruffy and a bit dirty quite quickly especially due to lack of funds for decent refuse collection. When you think of what goes into the rubbish bags, late or even non-collection is not a great thing.

But, it's been 10 years since we last went and we both would really like to go back this year. Have you been there recently and how would you describe things on the whole. Are they still skint with rubbish piling up or have they got to grip with things and have got back to the great resorts they used to be.

If you've got anything to add from personal recent experience, then me and Mrs Flyer would be grateful of the info. Just let us know where you've been, we're not fixed on any particular resort or island

Thanks
Just booked Crete 3 hours ago, end of June, will let you know. We went to Kefelonia last year for the first time Greece way, and enjoyed. Check out Two gun bob/Taxi,s report's.

Last edited:
Went to Rhodes last year, followed by Athens. Can't even have a shower around tea time in Rhodes as the water supply on the island cuts off at peak times. Athens is a dump overall, but some great archaeological sites and views there, and a nice shopping center in Marousi, near the Olympic Stadium.

The Greeks are really friendly people on the whole, but I'd definitely recommend Cyprus as a holiday destination over Greece. I went to Paphos about 18 months ago, it is more expensive than Greece but you're pretty much guaranteed really good weather, and it's a bit more modern than Greece - plus they drive on the left, albeit like mad men. The only thing Cyprus has a lack of is decent sand beaches.

Hope this helps.
Me & Mrs Moon go to Rodos twice a year and have never had water issues & we stay at a superb budget end of the market hotel.

Not really noticed any major differences since 'the crash' & the people are lovely, after around 14 trips to the same hotel (always laughed a people doing that sort of thing when I was younger) the staff are now personal friends.

Did Cyprus in January, got the nice week for weather but not my cup of tea, found it a watered down Greece with too many Russians & a bit too plastic in a Canary Is way.

@flyer what sort of accommodation are you looking for? The place we stay at is halfway between the airport & Rhodes in a proper village perfect for non ravers but close enough to get a bus in if that's your bag for a couple of Euros.

Last edited:
Stalis or stalida to give it it's Greek name is a pretty resort in the region of Hersoninisis in Crete ideally suited for older clientele. Nearby sits the busier resort of Malia that in essence can only be described as a right of passage place for younger people on 18-30 holidays but we enjoyed their company at all the foam parties and raves. In fairness they are just like you and me only far more excitable and giddyesque and they also talk differently saying things like wicked blud bro and respect.

Last edited:
Yep, you still bin your arse wipes.
Leaving shitty bog paper in a basket can be a godsend.

Many years ago I had horrendous shits in Ios and had to rush into a cafe toilet, it was only after I’d squirted everywhere that I realised there was no bog paper left. Rummaging around that basket tearing of little bits of paper that didn’t have shit on was a moment to remember. Sadly there wasn’t enough and had to go home with no tee shirt.

It was a great Island though. Very rustic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.