Gritty films

"once were warriors", a film about a maori family. We watched it before we went to live in New Zealand, a very powerful film. Was out in the 90s, don't know if you would be able to get it now.

Couple more from me:

The Chaser - Korean film about an ex cop (now pimp) trying to find one of his girls. Turns into a hunt for a serial killer. Absolutely brilliant. The lead actor, and the guy playing the serial killer are awesome. Pretty gruesome at times, and it is a pretty bad indictment of the Korean police.

Scum - not aged that well, but still the best borstal film out there.

Life is Beautiful - Italian film, and should have won the Oscar for best film. How they managed to make what in essence is a love story into a film about the holocaust (don't tell 9/11) is simply brilliant. Basically about a bloke who falls for a woman and then badgers her until she gives in. They, along with their son, are sent to a concentration camp. The whole thing is just so well done, great performances, and a fantastic story. Don't let the love bit put you off.<br /><br />-- Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 am --<br /><br />Thanks to everyone who's posted so far on this thread. My list of 'wanted' films has now grown. I'll be on Amazon later today to dig them out.

Thought someone may have mentioned Southern Comfort and Deliverance before now?

Uwe Rösler said:
bennyboy said:
Bad Boy Bubby....Weird,gritty Aussie film.

lol i was wondering if anyone was going to mention this one! i found it on dvd in new york one day!! havn't even seen it on dvd here in oz!!

chopper is good too, its based on a real person. Mark 'chopper read' wiki him!

Was going to say Chopper.

my personal favourites from my bin trash :-
1. begotten
2. visitor q
3. cutting moments
4. schramm

and of course august underground stuff

malg said:
I watched Van Diemen's Land tonight, due to someone on the Australia thread mentioning it. What a film! Dark realism at it's darkest. Although I do like the odd blockbuster (Spiderman, Lord of the Rings, Transformers etc), I tend to go more for gritty, realistic films. I love 'Nil by Mouth' - truly a great, great film. Also, 'Raining Stones' has got to be up there as well, along with 'Kes'. Anyone got other film recommendations in this genre?

That was me Malg, glad you enjoyed it. Seriously grim, and based on a true story.

There's another version of the same story made in 2008 called 'The Last Confession of Alexander Pearce' - not as grim as VDL, but I'm in it. For that alone, I'd recommend that too.

BingoBango said:
malg said:
I watched Van Diemen's Land tonight, due to someone on the Australia thread mentioning it. What a film! Dark realism at it's darkest. Although I do like the odd blockbuster (Spiderman, Lord of the Rings, Transformers etc), I tend to go more for gritty, realistic films. I love 'Nil by Mouth' - truly a great, great film. Also, 'Raining Stones' has got to be up there as well, along with 'Kes'. Anyone got other film recommendations in this genre?

That was me Malg, glad you enjoyed it. Seriously grim, and based on a true story.

There's another version of the same story made in 2008 called 'The Last Confession of Alexander Pearce' - not as grim as VDL, but I'm in it. For that alone, I'd recommend that too.
You're in it? Is that a wind up? By the way, great recommendation for VDL - what a film. The bit where Pearce killed the bloke by the riverside was traumatising......I actually put my hands over my face at one point.

malg said:
BingoBango said:

You're in it? Is that a wind up? By the way, great recommendation for VDL - what a film. The bit where Pearce killed the bloke by the riverside was traumatising......I actually put my hands over my face at one point.

Aye, I was an extra in 'The Last Confession', 'playing' a convict at Macquarie Harbour. It was great fun, and a break from my research in the archives!

VDL is great, but I can see why it put some reviewers off. I like how Pearce's Gaelic monologues got more and more deranged, ending with his 'I am blood' speech. And how the cameraderie at the beginning breaks down when the lack of food becomes apparent.

One of the Australian reviewers described the director as a 'natural born film-maker' and when you see how beautiful he made Tasmania look, I think he was right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.