OccupiedPalestineBlues

Team supported
Manchester City FC
Spring is almost on the cusp of being sprung so I thought I’d open a space for those who engage in the ‘grow to eat / labour of love’, to set free (broadcast?) their thoughts, advice, failings etc. on this tasty topic.

I’ll go first.
I had my hot peppers and green Tomatillo seeds in the propagators, and started pots of coriander and basil in pot on windowsills, in mid-January.
I put my beefsteak / big tomato, aubergines, sweet peppers and orange (sweet) Tomatillo seeds into propagators this week (early-February).
I use a 50w 600x600mm led panel to supplement and help contend with the short daylight hours.
I have broad bean and pea seeds in the root trainers in the house, (under the kitchen table) to give them a kick start.
I have overwintered Red Russian & Siberian Kale, Chives, Spinach Beet, Coriander and a couple of All Year Round Cauliflowers on the go in the polytunnel, which was laboriously and exhaustingly given it’s 3 year clean this week.
I have two beds of garlic that have been on the go since November and a bed of late garlic planted in late-January.
Also a small bed of purple sprouting broccoli (that’s starting to sprout in a purple fashion).
Beyond that the Blackcurrent bushes and Apple trees were clipped & fed in Autumn and I have some Red Current and both Pink & Green Goosberry bushes bought as bare root and planted up in pots ready to go into beds in early-April.
My first early and early potatoes are currently sat chitting on a north facing window sill - I intend to grow my spuds in buckets this year.

Failings so far this year include B-road Beans that were sown in trays in the polytunnel but sown too late so that they sat and rotted in the damp soil and, similarly, a handful of Broad Beans that were planted out in early-December but which were too young to withstand the hard frosts we had.
I also realise that I started my Green Tomatillos too damn early as they’re very leggy - I do this ‘starting stuff too early’ thing every year and every year I regret it when I end up living in a jungle of leggy plants by mid-April.

My one recommendation to others is to make your own seed compost. I make mine by rubbing basic garden compost through a 5mm steel mesh riddle and adding 40% perlite (buy it in bulk as it’s ridiculously expensive in small quantities).

Does anyone else have stuff on the go as yet, any advice to give, any varieties to recommend?

Nothing started yet apart from building amid size plastic greenhouse, waiting for the weather to go up a couple of degrees with no overnight chance of frost & making sure it'll not blow away even being pegged down and weighted.

I intend to do various veg and start next week.

The ground outside is solid, like concrete.

Rule is never to plant until at least the last week of May due to frost.

Can't plant seedlings, because like OPB, I've done it many times before due to lack of patience and all I get are leggy plants.

I do have some tomato plants in pots growing which were seeds from shop tomatoes, but I've no idea what they will actually produce. They can go out in the garden in just over 3 months time.

First up will be the asparagus. Makes my day to see the shoots breaking through, summer is close by.

Started to dig up the garden and began weeding yesterday.
I’d class myself as a beginner at grow your own, only been doing it for about 5 years.

Will be growing rhubarb, potatoes (8 planters), shallots, runner beans, peas, spinach, crown prince squash, courgettes, marrows, cucumbers and several different types of lettuce and loads of herbs. Might do kale aswell anda few other ideas

I’d like to be a bit more adventurous but limited to only small garden space.
I’m also growing sweet chestnut trees but this will be a long term project.

Started to dig up the garden and began weeding yesterday.
I’d class myself as a beginner at grow your own, only been doing it for about 5 years.

Will be growing rhubarb, potatoes (8 planters), shallots, runner beans, peas, spinach, crown prince squash, courgettes, marrows, cucumbers and several different types of lettuce and loads of herbs. Might do kale aswell anda few other ideas

I’d like to be a bit more adventurous but limited to only small garden space.
I’m also growing sweet chestnut trees but this will be a long term project.

It all sounds good MC.
I’ve got a biggish plot nowadays but, at my last house, I had an area about 4m x 5m which I filled with raised beds + a couple of square metres of hard standing where I grew in containers.

Because of the space challenge I looked out for methods that made best use of the small space and, even though I have more room now, I still use some of them.

My favourite adaptions were a heavy reliance on string, runner, French climbing beans and peas like yourself (because of the huge crops they produce for the small space they take), small fruited tomatoes (because they ripen quicker so give a better crop when grown outside in our short UK growing season) and the vertical growing of courgettes.

It was a surprise to me but courgettes are very easy to train up heavy canes. As vertical plants they take up a fraction of the area that traditional horizontal growing uses and it keeps them up off the ground so you get better air flow around them (less powdery mildew issues) and they don’t get bothered by slugs at all.

I never got going with potatoes or winter squash but this year I’ve bought some first early & early varieties that I’m chitting to grow in containers like you.

Spring is almost on the cusp of being sprung so I thought I’d open a space for those who engage in the ‘grow to eat / labour of love’, to set free (broadcast?) their thoughts, advice, failings etc. on this tasty topic.

I’ll go first.
I had my hot peppers and green Tomatillo seeds in the propagators, and started pots of coriander and basil in pot on windowsills, in mid-January.
I put my beefsteak / big tomato, aubergines, sweet peppers and orange (sweet) Tomatillo seeds into propagators this week (early-February).
I use a 50w 600x600mm led panel to supplement and help contend with the short daylight hours.
I have broad bean and pea seeds in the root trainers in the house, (under the kitchen table) to give them a kick start.
I have overwintered Red Russian & Siberian Kale, Chives, Spinach Beet, Coriander and a couple of All Year Round Cauliflowers on the go in the polytunnel, which was laboriously and exhaustingly given it’s 3 year clean this week.
I have two beds of garlic that have been on the go since November and a bed of late garlic planted in late-January.
Also a small bed of purple sprouting broccoli (that’s starting to sprout in a purple fashion).
Beyond that the Blackcurrent bushes and Apple trees were clipped & fed in Autumn and I have some Red Current and both Pink & Green Goosberry bushes bought as bare root and planted up in pots ready to go into beds in early-April.
My first early and early potatoes are currently sat chitting on a north facing window sill - I intend to grow my spuds in buckets this year.

Failings so far this year include B-road Beans that were sown in trays in the polytunnel but sown too late so that they sat and rotted in the damp soil and, similarly, a handful of Broad Beans that were planted out in early-December but which were too young to withstand the hard frosts we had.
I also realise that I started my Green Tomatillos too damn early as they’re very leggy - I do this ‘starting stuff too early’ thing every year and every year I regret it when I end up living in a jungle of leggy plants by mid-April.

My one recommendation to others is to make your own seed compost. I make mine by rubbing basic garden compost through a 5mm steel mesh riddle and adding 40% perlite (buy it in bulk as it’s ridiculously expensive in small quantities).

Does anyone else have stuff on the go as yet, any advice to give, any varieties to recommend?
Ever thought of growing Saffron....something to keep you busy at the back end of the season. Well drained soil or raised beds and off you go. A bit labour intensive but worth the effort and extremely satisfying.

Ever thought of growing Saffron....something to keep you busy at the back end of the season. Well drained soil or raised beds and off you go. A bit labour intensive but worth the effort and extremely satisfying.

I’ll definitely look into that as I love saffron vodka.
It only takes a pinch in a bottle to make it but the saffron costs a fortune so I could be worth every effort, thanks.

It all sounds good MC.
I’ve got a biggish plot nowadays but, at my last house, I had an area about 4m x 5m which I filled with raised beds + a couple of square metres of hard standing where I grew in containers.

Because of the space challenge I looked out for methods that made best use of the small space and, even though I have more room now, I still use some of them.

My favourite adaptions were a heavy reliance on string, runner, French climbing beans and peas like yourself (because of the huge crops they produce for the small space they take), small fruited tomatoes (because they ripen quicker so give a better crop when grown outside in our short UK growing season) and the vertical growing of courgettes.

It was a surprise to me but courgettes are very easy to train up heavy canes. As vertical plants they take up a fraction of the area that traditional horizontal growing uses and it keeps them up off the ground so you get better air flow around them (less powdery mildew issues) and they don’t get bothered by slugs at all.

I never got going with potatoes or winter squash but this year I’ve bought some first early & early varieties that I’m chitting to grow in containers like you.
What is this chitting you speak of?

I’ll definitely look into that as I love saffron vodka.
It only takes a pinch in a bottle to make it but the saffron costs a fortune so I could be worth every effort, thanks.
Whatever raw weight of saffron you grow / pick you'll loose 80% in moisture. On the upside, the plants need very little maintenance and may need splitting every 4 or so years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.