Grunge

I was a freshman in high school in Portland, OR when grunge hit. And while I wasn't alive in London during the 70's when punk broke I can imagine it was a similar experience. The cities of Seattle and Portland were a hotbeds of music like no other. You could go see bands like Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Mookie Blaylock (Pearl Jam), AIC, Soundgarden, Nirvana..... before they became worldwide sensations. Kurt Cobain's father-in-law was a substitute teacher at my school and I remember turning on MTV during lunch in 1991.... and my mouth just dropping open. Literally, for a couple years there it felt like the the center of the world. But things quickly became overkill....

For my money, the best "grunge albums" are....

Mudhoney - Superfuzz Big Muff
Tad - 8 Way Santa
Nirvana - Bleach
Steven Jessie Bernstein - Prison

Last edited:
Years before it had a label, this band did it all ... then the rest came, saw and copied .... Dave Grohl actually apologised to mainman Bob Mould for 'Nirvana ripping them off' ....

Years before it had a label, this band did it all ... then the rest came, saw and copied .... Dave Grohl actually apologised to mainman Bob Mould for 'Nirvana ripping them off' ....

Man I wish Grant Hart, Bob Mould and Greg Norton would still got along. Talk about a a great American band. Every interview I read it seems they can't stand in the same room any more.

Last edited:
Right up my street this. I was in a Nirvana tribute band for awhile.
I assume this is just not looking into Seattle grunge so other variants like orange grunge and alternative are acceptable as well? I'd go for:

Nirvana - In Utero
Silverchair - Frogstomp
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Bush - Sixteen Stones

Arguably, Pumpkins Mellon collie album is their best album but it is less grunge. Nirvana's Nevermind is a more popular album but personally In Utero is more grunge. Silverchair's subsequent albums became less grunge. Foo Fighters became more rock. Sweet 75 was too weird. There were also many one hit wonders, one of which is below

Vs - Pearl Jam
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
Purple - Stone Temple Pilots
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Dirt - Alice in Chains
Above - Mad Season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.