Guardiola rules out any January signings.

I can't wait to see who we 'convert' to center forward once Aguero goes....
giphy.gif

If we shouldn't replace injured players with new January signings, how about replacing Kompany like Pep wanted to in the summer?
It may depend on City's assessment of the potential of Garcia and Harwood-Bellis. If we buy a young defender like Nathan Ake, and add to Stones and Laporte then you're closing the door on one of those players. The effective cost is £50m for 3 months, and the loss of that young player who would probably move on.

If we didn't have those two young defenders then I'd definitely be in the market.

Pep may also truly believe he can convert Fernandinho into a central defender.

It may depend on City's assessment of the potential of Garcia and Harwood-Bellis. If we buy a young defender like Nathan Ake, and add to Stones and Laporte then you're closing the door on one of those players. The effective cost is £50m for 3 months, and the loss of that young player who would probably move on.

If we didn't have those two young defenders then I'd definitely be in the market.

Pep may also truly believe he can convert Fernandinho into a central defender.

Garcia is 18 and THB 17, I don't think either will get significant play time until 2021/2022 at the very earliest, by which time Otamendi, Ferna and possibly Stones will have gone.

So I wouldn't worry about those 2 too much.

Players will not be easy to sign this summer due to the Euros, we need at least three players, but whether we can get them remains to be seen.

Garcia is 18 and THB 17, I don't think either will get significant play time until 2021/2022 at the very earliest, by which time Otamendi, Ferna and possibly Stones will have gone.

So I wouldn't worry about those 2 too much.
In an ideal world, Laporte returns to partner Stones and returns as he left off.

In that case Garcia and Harwood Bellis are there as cover but we need them to be at a level where they are able to cover. If they can do that, then we don't need to buy replacements. If this is an unrealistic expectation, then we do need to be in the market for a central defender. Foden is 19 now. He's become an important player. Garcia looks physically strong enough for the Premier League now so I don't see why he would not be able to cover for Laporte next season.

If you believe that that is more hopeful than realistic then I would agree we need to be in the market for a central defender.

I don't know where we are with the squad requirements. For example, if we bring in a central defender it would be ideal to let one go but will Ota go. He'll be 32 this season and I don't think his contract expires until 2022.

Good.

No value or decent signings available in Jan anyway.

Ota leaves, we pick up Ferna for another year and bring in a CB. That gives us Stones & Laporte, the new guy & Ferna as the “first teamers,” while the two young guns are waiting in the wings and being developed by playing Cup games. Beyond that, it’s all about another attacking midfielder and a forward/left winger

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.