Guardiola rules out any January signings.

Get as tired as you like mate, every team who attacks us looks like they will score, did I say sign vvd? No someone pointed out it's hard to buy centre halfs or players in January as they are expensive because they are in the champions league, I pointed out that's not the case, and we are vulnerable at the back wether you like it or not, and I don't think it's wise after the event to suggest we needed strengthening at the back in the summer, we have an Argentinean centre half sat on the bench while we have a Brazilian ball winning midfielder playing centre half, great plan, so if the manager knew in the summer he couldn't trust the players who are actually defenders to play at the back if we got an injury then he should have got rid in the summer and brought in players he feels he can trust to play in the correct position, so pep is looking the smart arse and his little plan failed
I knew you couldn't resist lol

Ah. My response to @Marvin was as in a principal and not pertaining to either summer or winter windows e.g. injuries occur and spending to provide cover is not good business sense (with the odd exceptions, but not in winter).

I think Vinnie took us by surprise in that we didn't have sufficient notice (I may be wrong) and we would normally have succession plans in place for all players and scouting / screening candidates would be done months in advance. Personally, I don't think winter is the best window to be looking for players as it would be rare to get someone of the right quality to make an immediate impact, as well as having players wanting to move mid season (but I know we have had exceptions against that).
Vinny has said he was only approached about his new job in march so you are correct,it was somewhat of a surprise

Thanks Karen, thought that was the case
I'm guessing but i'm thinking the plan was for vinny to stay,play when fit and more importantly teach the 2 kids everything he knows and help bring them through
Like someone else said pep is not one for bluffing,unless an extrodinary deal comes up then nobody is coming in also we would have to sell someone

Isn't the point of being one of the world's richest clubs that, on occasion, we can buy the best players without having to worry about resale value? Koulibaly would help us massively over the next few seasons.

Also isnt the point of building the club for Guardiola to take over supposed to be to win as much as possible while he is here?

Get someone who can deliver right away, if hes done in 4 or 5 years time then who cares, it might mean another league title or 2 with Pep and a CL.

Lets not forget that we go out of the CL in 16/17 because of a shit defence and Stones got bullied by Falcao. Kompany and Otamendi were absolutely awful in the 3-0 loss which cost us the 17/18 Liverpool tie, and Laporte, as much as I love him, gave away 3 goals in a 4-4 tie and it was because he just panicked, being 24 and in his first CL quarter final.

Koulibaly is brilliant with his feet, he's a big unit, he's absolutely rapid, which is something we could really use when our obvious weakness is counterattacks, he's got tons of experience and he's a genuine leader at the back.

If the financials are at all feasible, they have to do it.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he also said that he made the decision just after the ball hit the net against Leicester, as he said that was never going to be bettered by him at City, so the decision was probably made in May.
I know I keep going on about this, and its not totally directed at you, but the idea that we didn't have time to properly go after a centerback last summer, because Vinny only told us he was leaving some three months before the window closed is patently absurd. He was out of contract last summer! Otamendi had communicated to the club that he wanted to leave! We should have been in the market and doing groundwork on multiple targets all spring. This whole explanation replies on us doing no contingency planning whatsoever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.