Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Fame Monster, 14 Sep 2019.

1. Fame Monster

Fame Monster

Virtually every time we drop points, Gundogan is normally on the pitch and out of position playing behind the striker. Why does Pep play him there when he's so gifted as a number 6 and when, by playing him out of position, he's keeping one of KDB, David Silva, Bernardo, Foden and potentially Mahrez or Sane out of the team as well? City dropping points and Gundogan as an 8 seem to go hand in hand.

I've updated the statistics after the Wolves game.

Since he came back from his nine month injury in 2017, we have won 72 out of 79 games without him playing as an attacking midfielder at a win-rate of over 91%. When he comes into the team (as an AM), that win rate drops almost 30% to 63% turning one of the greatest teams of all time into a Europa League team. I don't even think the stats were that bad with Mangala in the team. Shocking that the management or presumably anyone in the club who looks at stats can't see how poor we become with Gundogan in the side as an attacking midfielder.

More stats: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/gundogan-foden-stats-man-city-17046357

Last edited: 8 Oct 2019
  2. Franny's toilet roll

Franny's toilet roll

Agreed. He seems to have more faith in him. KDB should start every game when fit

3. decmancity

decmancity

Pep has Rodri now for the 6, so I don't see where Gundogan fits in unless it's for cup games. Shite today and simply should never play ahead of KDB.

4. pudge

pudge

I used to refer to him as an Arsenal player.

That's too much of a compliment now.

Ali333 likes this.
  5. AshtonBlueMooner

AshtonBlueMooner

Pep plays him because he trusts him. Time to take off the blinkers. Pick the best team.

Ali333 and Trojan1962 like this.
  6. MeatHunterrr

MeatHunterrr

Just keep him on the bench until we have injuries or need to rest someone. There is no reason to play him otherwise as all Bernardo, KDB, Silva, Foden are superior to him. There is no reason to keep him happy either, as if he wants out, its not exactly disaster for us.

7. jared

jared

Didn't Arteta praised him as being one of the best in tight spaces? Maybe the coaches and pep believe he operates best against tight defence.

8. I'm With Stupid

I'm With Stupid

If KDB needs a rest then we did brilliantly last season with the two Silvas in midfield. I don't know why that's suddenly no longer an option.

9. give it to gordon

give it to gordon

Bernardo, Foden, Rodi, KDB, Sterling ......would be my midfield....

Or with Fern or Sliva !!

10. sir baconface

sir baconface

Erm...