Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Fame Monster, 14 Sep 2019.

1. pudge

pudge

He's shite.

Cue all the "Well Pep thinks otherwise obviously" comments.

Pep's smacked off his tits then.

2. lmhblue1

lmhblue1

Right, time to update the list. He technically played deeper today but the general premise that he shouldn't play with David (unless maybe as a lone DM) still stands. Dropped points are bolded. Close/nervy wins or wins where one of the two of them was subbed off/moved into a different position before we scored have got asterisks.
    • Liverpool 3-0 City
    • City 1-2 Lyon
    • Hoffenheim 1-2 City*
    • Tottenham 1-0 City
    • City 2-3 United
    • Wolves 1-1 City
    • West Ham 0-4 City
    • Everton 0-2 City*
    • United 0-2 City*
    • Norwich 3-2 City
    • City 4-1 Burnley
    • Wigan 1-0 City
    • City 2-0 Zagreb
    • City 0-2 Wolves
    Out of 14 games - 7 losses, 1 draw, and 3 shaky wins. That just leaves the 4-0 win at West Ham (in which, if you'll remember, we actually gave up loads of chances), the 4-1 win against Burnley in the FA Cup, and the 2-0 win against Zagreb last week.

3. robbieh

robbieh

Injuries aside our best team is

Ederson
    Walker Fernandinho Laporte Mendy
    Rodri
    Bernardo Kevin
    Sterling Kun Sane

Of those 4 are currently injured.

Replacements should be Garcia for Laporte, Foden for Kev, Mahrez for Leroy and Zinchenko for Mendy.

4. Fame Monster

Fame Monster

We would have dropped points in a lot of the games which we ended up winning anyway were it not for great substitute performance like Sane at Old Trafford, or Sterling against Zagreb.

That partnership is a total disaster and I don't think it's David Silva to blame.

5. bluealf

bluealf

Well evidence enough not to play them together again, the way football is done on laptops nowadays it is an odd thing for them not to have noticed.

6. RandomJ

RandomJ

The backroom staff probably have. But Pep is the man in charge and has a serious hard on for Gundogan and I doubt anyone wants to rock the boat and question his selections.

bluealf likes this.
  7. blueballs84

blueballs84

Yeah that's the really peculiar thing.
    You think...OK maybe Pep is playing 2 DMs to shore us up defensively. But then Gundogan ends up playing as an 8, when we have 2 better 8s sitting on the bench and Rodri gets exposed constantly out of position. They were always just 1 pass away from running against our centre backs. The entire match. That shouldn't be happening if we are sacrificing creativity to play Gundogan.

Which always brings me back to my original question about Gundogan... What is it he actually does? He doesn't create, he doesn't defend and he doesn't boss the midfield. He circulates possession but to what end? It just circulates and circulates until we lose the ball and get exposed defensively. It does my head in.

Today was especially bad because it seems like Rodri was expecting Gundo to sit deeper and Gundo was expecting Rodri to sit deeper. Maybe the intention was for them to rotate a bit and confuse the defense but they seemed to confuse themselves and both get caught upfield.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2019
  8. simon23

simon23

Team supported:
    ManCity
    Spot on - most of ur poor performances have been with him in the side. Gundogan also started the 3-2 loss against palace (he scored our first) -- like someone else said, it aint David Silva's fault -

blueballs84 likes this.
  9. lmhblue1

lmhblue1

Loads of other problems in that Palace match tbf... Stones at DM (!), Walker disasterclass at RB, Delph at LB, Jesus out of form, Nico playing poorly. Gundo has had loads of poor performances but that match isn't one that I would really single out as an example of him being a problem.

10. kippaxchris

kippaxchris

Gundogobackwards!