Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

But Pep picks him and we aren't allowed to question Pep because he has won league titles, Cups and European Cups. So we're not entitled to have an opinion according to some on here. Well I am, and my opinion is this, he's too slow, not direct enough, slows us down and is best played when we are 2 or 3 up and need to close a game down, not when we are going for a win. His defensive skills are akin to a 2nd World War French army battalion and his speed makes Kenny Clements look fast. Other than that, he's a belter.

Whilst I’m not a fan of Gundo and Rodri together due to their zero pace, had we took any of our 108 chances today and it wouldn’t be a problem. We controlled the play and created countless chances. Their goals had nothing to do with Gundo

But it boils down to why we're not taking our chances. Aguero missed a few today so did Sterling and so did Gundogan, including the penalty. With Aguero and to a lesser extent Sterling, they can and normally do score goals so its forgivable when they have off-days in front of goal. Gundogan almost always has off-days in front of goal though, so there's no excuse for him being in the team in the first place and his continual selection over players like Bernardo and Foden is so frustrating because it normally means we become a much worse team.

But it boils down to why we're not taking our chances. Aguero missed a few today so did Sterling and so did Gundogan, including the penalty. With Aguero and to a lesser extent Sterling, they can and normally do score goals so its forgivable when they have off-days in front of goal. Gundogan almost always has off-days in front of goal though, so there's no excuse for him being in the team in the first place and his continual selection over players like Bernardo and Foden is so frustrating because it normally means we become a much worse team.

As I say I prefer the team without him, we didn’t lose today because of him though, penalty aside. It’s a farce you’ve got world class players, world class finishers in the side who can’t/won’t take one. His missed chance was due to Sterling’s poor ball.

As I say I prefer the team without him, we didn’t lose today because of him though, penalty aside. It’s a farce you’ve got world class players, world class finishers in the side who can’t/won’t take one. His missed chance was due to Sterling’s poor ball.

No-one ever really loses because of one player, I agree, but we become a much worse team when he's in the side (when he's playing in front of Rodri or Fernandinho).

He had three more chances on top of the penalty and the pass from Sterling, one he passed to Aguero when he should have volleyed it, the other he passed to Mahrez who got closed down, and the Walker cross was a difficult to chance but he chose to dummy it rather than shoot.

He gets away with missing chances because he always passes to someone else and he's a big part of our profligacy.

No-one ever really loses because of one player, I agree, but we become a much worse team when he's in the side (when he's playing in front of Rodri or Fernandinho).

He had three more chances on top of the penalty and the pass from Sterling, one he passed to Aguero when he should have volleyed it, the other he passed to Mahrez who got closed down, and the Walker cross was a difficult to chance but he chose to dummy it rather than shoot.

He gets away with missing chances because he always passes to someone else and he's a big part of our profligacy.

Agree to disagree, he wasn’t the problem today. Far from it

The best attacking midfielders we have had in the last 10 years are Yaya Toure, David Silva and KDB. No one else is in contention and certainly not Ilkay Gundogan.

That pass from Sterling was diabolical.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.