Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

Gundogan isn't a #8, he can't play in the pockets like Silva, Foden or KDB can. He's positionally all over the place and on Saturday he made no effort to come and get the ball and spring us forwards.

Gundogan is good player, the problem he has is that we have better players.

In terms of position he can fill in well as a 6, and he could play as an 8, to cover for Spanish Dave (as neither has any pace or directness) alongside Kev, but with Spanish Dave it doesn't work. And Spanish Dave is better (much much better)

At the end of the day, as people have pointed out Gundogan is a good player, he would get into most teams, but the bottom line is I'm sure if he is playing other teams will focus a good deal less in countering him than pretty much any other non-defender we might field. For me playing him at number 8 given the alternatives, we have just doesn't make sense

Can't really blame Gundo for defending like an under 13s team and not putting our chances away. He didn't have the best game but neither did the 14 others who played.

Those 14 games he played well, but City were in the ascendancy in those games. Bernardo was better than Gundogan in those 14 games. Where was he yesterday, he did nothing, but as I said earlier I am not blaming Gundogan for the defeat yesterday.
I think you will find he played a different role in most of the games during the run in, then asked to do at Norwich. The guy still has a contribution to make but you won't see it
if he is used used in the manner we saw on Saturday.

A talented footballer that just doesnt fit in anywhere on the park, looks truely shite in his favoured role and is now 3rd choice in the position where hes had his best games for us.

In the 2nd half of last season, Gundogan was excellent playing at No 6. No 6 is the only position he has shown capability at since he has been at the club. He hasnt shown anything of note (consistently) playing as a No 8.

I can understand completely why after his performances, the club wanted to give him a new contract. What I don't understand is the decision to then go and sign another No 6. For me, you either keep Gundogan and dont sign Rodri or you sign Rodri and you let Gundogan go. We are now left in a situation where we've given a new contract to an ageing player and don't really have a place for him in the team. I expect we made promises to Gundogan around game-time and to make good on those promises, we will be back to a square peg, round hole scenario. This means KDB will be rested when he should be playing and it pushes Foden even further down the pecking order.

I am not really sure how we can attach much blame to Gundogan in this. Yes, he is no good at No 8 but we knew that already. The club/Pep have made this problem, by having a boner for Rodri and not acknowledging that Gundogan is competent in only one position. We didnt need both of them.

Unfortunately, we will probably find that this thread grows and grows over the coming months.

In the 2nd half of last season, Gundogan was excellent playing at No 6. No 6 is the only position he has shown capability at since he has been at the club. He hasnt shown anything of note (consistently) playing as a No 8.

I can understand completely why after his performances, the club wanted to give him a new contract. What I don't understand is the decision to then go and sign another No 6. For me, you either keep Gundogan and dont sign Rodri or you sign Rodri and you let Gundogan go. We are now left in a situation where we've given a new contract to an ageing player and don't really have a place for him in the team. I expect we made promises to Gundogan around game-time and to make good on those promises, we will be back to a square peg, round hole scenario. This means KDB will be rested when he should be playing and it pushes Foden even further down the pecking order.

I am not really sure how we can attach much blame to Gundogan in this. Yes, he is no good at No 8 but we knew that already. The club/Pep have made this problem, by having a boner for Rodri and not acknowledging that Gundogan is competent in only one position. We didnt need both of them.

Unfortunately, we will probably find that this thread grows and grows over the coming months.
I think you will see him at 6 if Rodri is rested or injured and Fern is moved back or more unlikely we play two holding midfielders. If as is highly possible Fern moves on next season he may get more game time. I can only assume that is the thinking behind his new contract. I fully agree that as an 8 while useful he is not amazing and additionally a very poor complement when played along with David.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.