Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

Fame Monster

Virtually every time we drop points, Gundogan is normally on the pitch and out of position playing behind the striker. Why does Pep play him there when he's so gifted as a number 6 and when, by playing him out of position, he's keeping one of KDB, David Silva, Bernardo, Foden and potentially Mahrez or Sane out of the team as well? City dropping points and Gundogan as an 8 seem to go hand in hand.

I've updated the statistics after the Wolves game.

Since he came back from his nine month injury in 2017, we have won 72 out of 79 games without him playing as an attacking midfielder at a win-rate of over 91%. When he comes into the team (as an AM), that win rate drops almost 30% to 63% turning one of the greatest teams of all time into a Europa League team. I don't even think the stats were that bad with Mangala in the team. Shocking that the management or presumably anyone in the club who looks at stats can't see how poor we become with Gundogan in the side as an attacking midfielder.

More stats: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/gundogan-foden-stats-man-city-17046357

Last edited:
Virtually every time we drop points, Gundogan is normally on the pitch and out of position playing behind the striker. Why does Pep play him there when he's so gifted as a number 6 and when, by playing him out of position, he's keeping one of KDB, David Silva, Bernardo and potentially Mahrez or Sane out of the team as well? Not quite a Pep out thread as I'm sure some would like to be portray it but surely a mistake from him given that City dropping points and Gundogan as a 10 seem to go hand in hand.
Agreed. He seems to have more faith in him. KDB should start every game when fit

I used to refer to him as an Arsenal player.

That's too much of a compliment now.

Pep has Rodri now for the 6, so I don't see where Gundogan fits in unless it's for cup games. Shite today and simply should never play ahead of KDB.
Just keep him on the bench until we have injuries or need to rest someone. There is no reason to play him otherwise as all Bernardo, KDB, Silva, Foden are superior to him. There is no reason to keep him happy either, as if he wants out, its not exactly disaster for us.

Didn't Arteta praised him as being one of the best in tight spaces? Maybe the coaches and pep believe he operates best against tight defence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.