gypsy curse on maine road

bluemoonno1

During construction, the stadium was reputedly cursed by a gypsy when Manchester City officials evicted a gypsy camp from the area. This curse was allegedly removed on 28 December 1998.[9] However, the gypsy curse is likely to be an urban myth, as such stories are endemic to a number of football league grounds.

if this is true it explains a lot,,,,

the curse was never lifted, a guy called romark turned up to lift the curse, but swales said he cost too much much to allisons dismay? so the curse remains,the actual curse was that nothing shall ever come to the team that plays at this ground,

apparently he was the guy who put a curse on palace when ron noades told him to move his caravan so he could park his jag, gets about a bit our romark, anyway about the 60s 70s, i ask you this do you beleive? be carefull he comes on this site? so if he ever gets banned were all doomed?<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:47 am --<br /><br />doomed i tell ye?

mancunial said:
the curse was never lifted, a guy called romark turned up to lift the curse, but swales said he cost too much much to allisons dismay? so the curse remains,the actual curse was that nothing shall ever come to the team that plays at this ground,

The alleged curse was allegedly lifted in December 1998. Descendents of the family who were alleged to have placed a curse on the ground came to Maine Road and performed various actions, involving blue-painted horse shoes. Those horse shoes had to be left at the ground on match day.

The full story is on page 44-45 of "Farewell To Maine Road" (ISBN 1899538194), including photos of the horseshoes and the story of the original curse.

The alleged curse was rarely mentioned when City were doing well, but it was once explained to me that the curse still applied - had City not been cursed (allegedly!) then the late 60s would have brought more success and not been cut short when it was.

Personally, I am always sceptical about these things, but get hold of a copy of Farewell To Maine Road from the library and have a read. It's an interesting story, especially the part about it being lifted.

Gary James said:
mancunial said:

The alleged curse was allegedly lifted in December 1998. Descendents of the family who were alleged to have placed a curse on the ground came to Maine Road and performed various actions, involving blue-painted horse shoes. Those horse shoes had to be left at the ground on match day.

The full story is on page 44-45 of "Farewell To Maine Road" (ISBN 1899538194), including photos of the horseshoes and the story of the original curse.

The alleged curse was rarely mentioned when City were doing well, but it was once explained to me that the curse still applied - had City not been cursed (allegedly!) then the late 60s would have brought more success and not been cut short when it was.

Personally, I am always sceptical about these things, but get hold of a copy of Farewell To Maine Road from the library and have a read. It's an interesting story, especially the part about it being lifted.
Had a look for this on Amazon, £74.99 !!
Do you know anywhere else that sells it rather than renting a copy from the library?
Cheers

mancitygaz said:
Gary James said:

Had a look for this on Amazon, £74.99 !!
Do you know anywhere else that sells it rather than renting a copy from the library?
Cheers

Sadly, they only appear rarely. It's a real collector's book. Occasionally they turn up on ebay for much less, but the 3,000 copies produced sold out within a year. The library is your best bet (but it's free to borrow from most libraries).

Theres a burger van by the printworks, round the back by urbis. The guy who owns it is from the family who were on Maine Rd before it was cleared to build the ground. Not sure if it was his family who placed the curse though. His burger van used to be behind the Alan Ball stand (small and squeeky) between platt lane and the kippax.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.