Haaland or Mbappé

Would you rather us sign Haaland or Mbappe in summer ?

• Haaland

Votes: 378 71.2%
  • Mbappe

Votes: 153 28.8%

• Total voters
I think Mbappe is definitely an out and out goalscorer, lightning quick, more of a jinky(is that a word?) style of player and more versatile which is a big plus for a Pep team. So the sensible answer should be Mbappe and if we did have the choice for the same price it probably would be him. Things aren't always that simple though, the best choice for City could also involve the best value, the safest option and who offers more of what we don't already have. They both offer finishing beyond what we currently have which is why they are both great choices.

Best value: The Qatari's would never want him signing for City. Even if there was a stupidly high fee City could sway them with, his wage demands are going to be much higher than Haaland's because he's at a different stage of his career.

Safest choice: Who's to say Mbappe will adapt to England or PL football quite as well as we'd hope? You could say the same of Haaland but there are obvious factors that suggest he is more likely to adapt well. He's already lived in England, as have his family and they should settle fast, the climate wont be a problem for him. The physicality of the league will not be a problem for him either.

More of what we don't have: I'd argue Sterling offers some of what Mbappe has outside of his finishing. Haaland is more physical, taller and imposing than any of the options we have upfront currently. This can be just as unsettling for defenders as Mbappe's pace and flair. Haaland is also 2 years younger or 1 year 6 months to be precise. At 21(if he signs for City)you'd hope he knows he has plenty to learn from Pep, the coaching staff and the players, to take his game up a level or two which is an exciting prospect.

After saying all of that, I've realised the question is much simpler. It's not who is currently better or anything of the sort. So the answer is Haaland for me, Mbappe has his sights set on Real and has never been interested in signing for City by most accounts. Sign the players that want to come, any less risks affecting the dressing room further down the road, especially if it becomes a habit.

Last edited:
And I’m not saying Haaland is shit either but your comment that he’s hands down more suited to our team is just false. In fact if we sign Haaland we’ll have to change our style quite a bit. Haaland certainly couldn’t play the false 9 role or slot into either the left or right forward positions. Mbappe could.
can we have both of them

I was just wondering watching Haaland and Mbpappe. Suppose we could get either one these two.

Delay is two years younger than Haaland. And pretty much the same kind of style as Haaland (not saying he is better)
Mbpappe is two years older than Haaland. And a different kind a player than Haaland.
If Delap is as highly rated as some say, would it be wise to go after Haaland? Or would we better off trying to get Mbpappe?

If Paris can afford both Neymar and Mbappe, then why cant we? As in Mbappe and Haaland. The income in merchandising alone would probably cover most of the cost.
This post is a bit tongue in cheek, but we are City so we should think big as we are one of the richest clubs in the world.

I actually think Mbappe would suit us more. He’s more versatile and could play in different positions across the front line which would suit us as that what we like from our forwards. It’s one of the reasons why Agüero isn’t being given a new contract.

We will have to play quite rigidly if we sign Haaland, and that’s not something we’ve done in our new guise this season. We’ve been a fluid adaptable and unpredictable team.

That’s not to say that Haaland’s won’t be so good that it won’t matter that we’re a bit more conventional and less fluid. Like other top strikers - Lewandowski/Agüero - they’ve just scored goals and won games and titles because of their rigid striker qualities.

I don’t think we’ve been linked with Mbappe at all since he’s been with Paris though. So it looks like Haaland is the target.

Imagine a front three of Jesus Haaland and Mbappe with Foden behind them for the next decade; It’s a shame it won’t happen, but a club like Real Madrid would make it happen if they could!

Mbappe for me. Him playing on the right and not Mahrez, how that is not an immense upgrade?
He would deliver more goals than Jesus from striker position and then it would not be that bad that Jesus is working his ass off without high goal tally.

I was just wondering watching Haaland and Mbpappe. Suppose we could get either one these two.

Delay is two years younger than Haaland. And pretty much the same kind of style as Haaland (not saying he is better)
Mbpappe is two years older than Haaland. And a different kind a player than Haaland.
If Delap is as highly rated as some say, would it be wise to go after Haaland? Or would we better off trying to get Mbpappe?
Just wondering you say? :)

And the answer is Haaland.

When you’re talking about players of a certain level, discussing which one is better or a “better fit” is almost silly. Pep would die to work with both if he could. He loves to work with the best players, and he would get the best out of any of them.

Having said this, I think people are (rightfully so!) a little taken with Mbappe’s performance in the first game against Barcelona and then against Bayern. Those two have been his first extraordinary performances in a long time. His past months and months up until the round of 16 in the UCL had been quite uneventful. This isn’t the case with Haaland, who’s blossoming and (if he indeed comes) would come in with excepcional momentum. By any stat, Haaland is more impressive now than Mbappe was at the same point with the same age. I posted yesterday a stat about their involvements in goals in the UCL and Haaland is well ahead in a comparison with the same number of games as Mbappe. I also think the Bundesliga is a richer experience than the French league (especially if your team is PSG).

I also think Haaland brings in a different kind of physicality and features to the team that Mbappe would. No doubt Mbappe would add a lot, but I think what Haaland adds is more different and, contrary to what you would think by listening to some people around here, Pep thrives when he works with different tools and elements; when he sometimes has problems is when forced to stick with the same ideas over and over. Ultimately, and perhaps most importantly, I think Haaland would just score many more goals for us over the years than Mbappe, even after Pep is gone. And you can’t ignore his identification with this club; it matters in the long term.

Something that has already been talked about here, and I agree, is that Haaland by all accounts just seems like more of a team player than Mbappe. When you actually listen to both talk about football and their own game, I hear more sophistication and a broader intelligence in Haaland. I think French players in general unfortunately lack a bit more intelligence and vision compared to others, with obviously many exceptions. However I have no doubt Mbappe has a brilliant career ahead of him and will probably benefit in the comparison with Haaland in awards due to the fact that the French team is likely to keep winning titles, unlike effin’ Norway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.