Hacked whilst on Holiday

TueartsOHK

Team supported
Citizens of Hope and Glory
We've recently come off our honeymoon- a MSC Cruise visiting Lake Garda, Venice then boarding the ship onto Greece, Albania and Croatia.

On our return I noticed that I had emails from EBay regarding a fictitious item I had put up for sale. Also the email acknowledging the sale was in Italian. I don’t think anyone has accessed my iPad (couldn’t see anything in history) whilst on the ship and it is password protected but it would have been accessible by the cleaners? Is it possible that the hacker has hacked the wireless network we were connected to on the ship or in one of the hotels before we embarked?

I’ve contacted EBay and they’ve removed the item and I’ve reset passwords. I’m now a bit paranoid that other apps on my iPad could have been compromised? Anyone had experience of this before and any techys out here got any advice on how I can check.

Thanks TOHK

Seems a strange scam to list an item but recently encountered a lot of fake Paypal emails relating to ebay. the usual log in via this link. Have to be aware and they have mirrored a real email!

We've recently come off our honeymoon- a MSC Cruise visiting Lake Garda, Venice then boarding the ship onto Greece, Albania and Croatia.

On our return I noticed that I had emails from EBay regarding a fictitious item I had put up for sale. Also the email acknowledging the sale was in Italian. I don’t think anyone has accessed my iPad (couldn’t see anything in history) whilst on the ship and it is password protected but it would have been accessible by the cleaners? Is it possible that the hacker has hacked the wireless network we were connected to on the ship or in one of the hotels before we embarked?

I’ve contacted EBay and they’ve removed the item and I’ve reset passwords. I’m now a bit paranoid that other apps on my iPad could have been compromised? Anyone had experience of this before and any techys out here got any advice on how I can check.

Thanks TOHK
I was hacked at home 6 months or so ago, items bought on eBay & Amazon by some little shit in Thailand.

As he was using my email addy I could see his correspondence with the sellers, lucky for him I couldn't get over there.

Spoke to eBay, Amazon and PayPal & luckily got my money back (6 items) eventually. It was a pain in the arse, had to get new bank cards & change my email address along with binning all 3 hacked sites just to be on the safe side.

MSC has many nationalities on the cruises, some are roll on roll off like a bus so it could be any fucker.

First question is ... Are your passwords easy to guess?
Second question is ... Do you re-use passwords a lot?

If someone oversees you in public entering your email and password details on your laptop or phone for any site, one of the first things they can try and do is see if you use the same details on the big sites such as ebay.

In the last couple of years i have had a dormant facebook hacked,amazon hacked,e-mail hacked,i had a gut feeling not to open a file sent from what looked like my brother,i sent him a message checking it and he said he hadn't sent it,just dodged a bullet there,change all your passwords,pain in the arse but just to be sure

In the last couple of years i have had a dormant facebook hacked,amazon hacked,e-mail hacked,i had a gut feeling not to open a file sent from what looked like my brother,i sent him a message checking it and he said he hadn't sent it,just dodged a bullet there,change all your passwords,pain in the arse but just to be sure
Hope you remembered to change your Bluemoon password otherwise we don't know if you really are you.

I agree, and it is indeed a pain in the arse in having a unique password for each website instead of having a generic password for all that can be more easily hacked and accessed.

A cruise ship is an ideal network for packet sniffing. You have a captive set of devices who will be transmitting non ssl data somewhere along the line. Even if it is all ssl, a bad actor could setup a fake login for the onboard network. From that you can change the devices dns settings. From that point you can redirect to the fake sites, even if you type in www.ebay.com, you will go to a fake site. They way you notice is the fake site will not have ssl enabled (https). So if your bank, ebay, paypal login page does not use ssl its a fake site.

Whilst on the cruise were you prompted to put in login details to anything that is normally dealt with automatically?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.