Half-term report - Music in 2013

MCFC BOB

Fred's Patio on me: "Mr. Self Appointed Lord of Wh
Sort of stuff have you been getting your teeth in to? Do you have a 'Best of' list forming yet? Obviously there's some massive albums yet to come this year from Kanye West, Fuck Buttons and various others, so things will change.

My top 20 albums so far this year:
1. m b v - My Bloody Valentine
2. Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant
3. Tomorrow's Harvest - Boards of Canada
4. You're Nothing - Iceage
5. Native - OneRepublic
6. Overgrown - James Blake
7. Big Inner - Matthew E. White
8. The Terror - The Flaming Lips
9. II - Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10. The Child of Lov - The Child of Lov
11. Modern Vampires of the City - Vampire Weekend
12. Shaking the Habitual - The Knife
13. Meir - Kvelertak
14. Silence Yourself - Savages
15. Settle - Disclosure
16. ...Like Clockwork - Queens of the Stone Age
17. 12 Reasons to Die - Ghostface Killah
18. Once I Was An Eagle - Laura Marling
19. Waking On a Pretty Daze - Kurt Vile
20. Obsidian - Baths

Biggest disappointments:
1. Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
2. Collections - Delphic
3. Some Say I So I Say Light - Ghostpoet
4. Long Live ASAP - ASAP Rocky
5. Holy Fire - Foals

Nicest surprises:
1. Big Inner - Matthew E. White
2. Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant
3. II - Unknown Mortal Orchestra
4. Boards of Canada and My Bloody Valentine releasing albums
5. The length of The Knife's Shaking the Habitual (96 minutes).

Definitely agree with Daft Punk being the biggest disappointment.

John Grant, love the guy, what do you reckon of his new album compared to Queen of Denmark?

I personally cant wait for Red Fangs new album this year, going to make my year. If you're into QOTSA you may be into them too

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0mq3F4Dn6I[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA[/youtube]

I can see what you mean about Queens of the Stone Age there.

Also, I prefer this one to Queen of Denmark but I've not listened to Queen of Denmark as much as I should. I think I've listened to half of it once, but I had to go out. After that I just never went back to it. I should, though.

I'd also like to add Yeah Yeah Yeahs' new album to the list of big disappointments.

Loved QOTSA's new album, much more restricted, refined and constructed. Has its positives and its negatives, but some of those songs like Smooth Sailing to me are classics. Some were weaker efforts, mainly near the start, but after a few tracks it really kicks into gear. Can sort of tell some influence on Kalopsia from Alex Turner, but very good anyway IMO.

Daft Punk's, major disappointment agreed, goes absolutely no where.

Settle is also very good, from Disclosure, but I haven't heard every track from that album so far.

Wolf from Tyler, The Creator was his best work as well, as a concept album it is very good.

Indicud from Kid Cudi was middle of the road, some fantastic tracks, some poor ones, valid effort on his part though.

A$AP's album debut wasn't a 'disappointment' although it did fail to live up to his mixtape, which will be hard to top IMO, very, very good mixtape.

Looking forward to Yeezus anyway, hope its good.

I wasn't really a fan of any odd future stuff but Tyler's new shit was really good to me. Pusha T's mixtape was pretty good, as was the new vampire weekend. Wasn't too into the ASAP lp, but after watching the summer jam stream even that clicked for me now. The new waaves (afraid of heights) is good too.

Most excited for the next week really as I'm guessing Yeezus will leak Tuesday or Wednesday, action bronson's new shit, and gunplay's new mixtape will be here.

2nd half looking good as well with josh homme's better half releasing new music , schoolboy q ,ASAP ferg, and Freddie Gibbs having new shit too.

I've not heard any albums yet that have really stopped me in my tracks and been properly exciting, but the main ones I've liked have probably been by.

Phoenix
Small Black
Foals
Daughter
Still Corners

Looking forward to hearing 'Comfort' by Splashh and the new Electric Soft Parade record.

Favourite track of the year so far is 'Dive' by a Birmingham band called Dumb.

Has anyone heard The Nationals new album yet? It came out the same week as Daft Punks so kind of got lost in the hype (even iTunes was against them)
na8a8a9e.jpg

Listening to it for nearly a month now and while I think it's got some of the best tracks they've ever done, I'm not sure it's a great album as a whole.

2013 has been a great year for music so far.
Daft Punk's album isn't bad, but it's not the godsend some would have you believe.

The best album so far has been Tales From Terra Firma by Stornoway. Hell of a band, there is no album better suited to this weather than that.
I've recently started listening to Tyler, the Creator's Goblin so am interested in how good Wolf is.

Honourable mentions to: Kate Nash
Vampire Weekend
Disclosure's debut sounds good so far
Kanye's new one is bound to be revolutionary. Again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.