Hamburg - A real Challenge

scorer

and so it came to pass..... Manchester United fell
I see this Hamburg game as being absolutely crucial to city's (and Mark Hughes's) future.

Accepting the Schalke game as being the exception, I dont think we have played anyone of real nite so far in the competition, and as luck would have it I think there are lesser sides left in now that the likes of AC have been dispatched. This is not to criticise the tream for getting through, after all you can only beat (sometimes only just) what is put in front of you.

I think we are at the stage of the tournament where all teams will be taking it seriously from now on - up until now I think the commitment shown by other teams has been questionable. City have always "gone for it" in my opinion and made hard work of it, nontheless we are there.

If Hamburg are up for it (which I am guessing they will be) it will our toughest challenge yet, and it wont be easy. If we were to get through even the semi-finals I think i am going to have to accept we will be stuck with Hughes for at least another season, if we don't I think we may well still be stuck with him. That said, I will be behind the team. As I have been all season!

Heres hoping City can do th Biz...

C'mon you Blues!!!!!!!!!

What I don't fancy is us coming from behind against this lot. They are tough, resolute, hard to beat and will, like all German sides, be very well organised. Whilst I do think we have goals in us against most teams, I think we would find it hard against Hamberg if they have their backs to the wall. I'm not sure how much fight City would show in that situation, to be honest. Our heads may go down after 20 minutes of frustration.

For some reason, though, I do fancy us to score out there. So as long as we can draw or lose by a single goal - particularly with an away goal - then I'd fancy us to go through.

It's right in the balance, I think.

I hate to say this, though, my gut feel says "Heroic Failure"....! 3-0 down first leg, 2-0 victory second...or a penalties defeat. That would just be so City...

we've had a lot of luck this season in the uefa cup. and the players know now that they are so close to winning a trophy. plus everyone is hitting form(accept robinho, but he steps up during the big games and who knows, he might score in the final). i think with a fully fit squad in the away leg, we might get away with a win

As i said the other day on here Hamburg present a formidable challenge to us ...... they have won 10 out of their 12 home games , with only Schalke in the Bundesliga conceding fewer goals at home than them ....... Hamburg have conceded 9 at home , Schalke 8.

Away from home they've managed to win 5 out of their 13 games which is 'so-so' ....... not brilliant , but it's reasonable away form ....... they've also conceded 28 goals on their travels.

So to me it's not looking very likely that we're gonna win at their place at this stage of the competition , surely they're gonna do their homework on us , and surely they'll take it extremely seriously ........ although having said that , being City , we DID win at Schalke who hold THE best defensive home record in the Bundesliga.

So it looks to me like the second leg at COMS is our best chance of winning this , and one where we'll need 'all hands to the pumps' to pull it off ....... Hamburg won't just roll over , you can be sure of it!

rohanthebest said:
we've had a lot of luck this season in the uefa cup. and the players know now that they are so close to winning a trophy. plus everyone is hitting form(accept robinho, but he steps up during the big games and who knows, he might score in the final). i think with a fully fit squad in the away leg, we might get away with a win

This is very true and something i dont think I've ever been able to say about a City side before....

I get the feeling, the way our luck has been this season, that our name could be on that cup. Schalke apart we've not played very well in any game... yet we're still there. An own goal 3 minutes into stoppage time against Midgetland.... Surviving the Aalbourg late two goals and them going into extra time with their tails in the air.... I just have this feeling....

... Then again, this is City!!

rohanthebest said:
i would love to say i agree but us away scare's the shit out of me cos i feel we are lacking sooooooo the confidence to win away(in 90min)

before the draw was made, hamburg was the only team i was hoping to avoid, typically we got them...but being city we can beat them...as you say we already beat the team with the best defensive home record away in Germany...it will no doubt be a very hard draw...with another one to follow if we get through...but this is the last 8 of the uefa cup...any team we would have drawn would have been hard

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.