Handing Down Allegiance

There are other risks to inherited allegiance, my daughter, at the tender and impressionable age of 6, came home from school waxing lyrical about a certain David Beckham. I was on the phone same day, tickets for the next game, the clash of behemoths Manchester City v Swindon Town, league 1. Thankfully a 3-0 win and her allegiance was sealed.

You have to be on your guard all the time.

In your case though you should be encouraging defection
I had exactly the same happen to me although the Rag player in question was Ryan Giggs. My middle daughter at the age of about 11/12 years old proudly announced that she was now an admirer of said Rag player and would I take her to a United match to see him play.
I politely told her that she was welcome to go to OT on her own or with her friends but that I would never ever set foot in there unless it was to see City play. She eventually gave up her crush on him and then became a match going City fan briefly around 2002/3.

The thought my sons would follow the dark side never entered my mind. When they grow up surrounded by family and friends watching live games as pups, they got as passionate about our team very quickly.

I would have sold them for experiments if they chose wrongly.

So just recently I have managed to convert my great nephew from a Norwich City fan to a Manchester City fan. The story goes like this -
The young chap in question is called Tom(age 7),his 2 paternal grandparents are Norwich City season ticket holders for many years and so are his Dad and Mum (Clair my niece). So last season they took Tom to a few Norwich games when they were doing well in The Championship and they took him to the victory parade around the city of Norwich. They even emailed me a couple of photos of him in his green and yellow scarf and they were all ever so proud of him.
Fast forward to a month ago. The wife is chatting on the phone to her elder sister and it comes out in the conversation that Tom is fed up of being a Norwich fan because they keep getting beat this season and now he wants to come on holiday to Manchester so he can see Manchester City play.
I decide to help him switch allegiance and send him the 125 year scarf (that I never wear and was free with my season card). And a little note to him saying that he should wear the scarf when Manchester City are on TV and to lie it flat across his bed at all other times. And I tell him that the next time his maternal grandparents visit us in Manchester he should accompany them and I will take him to The Etihad for a Stadium Tour and try my best to get him to City home game.
Anyway he loves the scarf,they have emailed me a couple of pics of him holding the scarf over his head and he cant wait to come to Manchester.
And the REAL connection to Manchester City is that my wife and her sisters lived just off Bennett Street in Ardwick in the 1950s and early 1960s,just opposite where the Hyde Road ground had been in the early 20th century.

My sister and BiL are rags and were coercing my eldest daughter, who was probably about six at the time, to the dark side
My daughter was jokingly saying to me "United, yeahhh" so I sat her down and very seriously said "you can support united if you want, but remember, when you choose your team that's it for life, you're not allowed to change"
She replied "I'm supporting City then"

Job done

Sis and BiL didn't attempt anything with my youngest as they knew they'd lose

My Grandad was born in 1906 and after WWI used to deliver milk to Ardwick on a Saturday morning and would go and watch a City game. He went to both Hyde Road and Maine Road, City was his team, but he did actually used to go to watch United as well and used to take my Father and Uncle to Maine Road one week and Old Trafford the next in the 1960s. My Dad favoured City; my Uncle United.

My Mother’s side of the family were all from Moss Side (well, my Grandad was from Cheetham Hill but moved to Moss Side when he married my Nan and said he felt like he’d moved up in the world because he thought of Moss Side as posh back then!)... all but one Uncle were Blues.

I was born a mile away from Maine Road but, even so, my Dad still gave me the choice of City or United (and didn’t say I’d be “out the door” if I chose red!), even asked if I wanted a City or United shirt for my first shirt. And he never used to try and brainwash me into believing everything about City was great and everything about United was bad. Although some on my Mother’s side of the family did. My Father always tried to encourage independent thought and choice, also said that brainwashing bitterness into children creates twisted and sinister adults; he’s probably right! Look at some of the utter bollocks spouted by so many football fans, especially on platforms like Twitter - I bet they’re from families where their Dad’s clubs colours were slapped on them in the hours after being born and I bet they were brainwashed from an early age.

Also look at the lunatics who believe in far left or far right politics or the loons who are overtly religious... I’ll bet it’s all been forced on them from being a kid and it creates adults with deranged views.

After the choice he gave me, I chose City! Even though we were a division below United at the time (1989).

Now, as an adult, I have made my own mind up that the Redshirts are three evil entities, the European Cartel are a bunch of a dozen plus evil entities, who all want to put a stop to the rise of Manchester City and will do anything to do it. But it was never brainwashed into me from being a kid.

Just like, as an adult (well I was actually a kid when I first thought it), I have realised that religion and god and all that bollocks is all just made up fantasy stories. The myth of the so called “big clubs” is just that, a myth. They haven’t always been big clubs, they haven’t always been at the top, they didn’t organically grow their clubs to become successful - every single one of them had money pumped into them to get to the top. Their clubs aren’t what they’ve been brainwashed into believing from a young age!

I do believe that everyone in the world is representative more greatly as a person of the town/city they come from more than the nation they come from. People don’t support other countries other than their own in sport so why on Earth would anyone support a football club from another city/country?

When you wake up in the morning and step out of your front door, you breathe the air and take the steps on the ground of your city. Supporting the football club of that turf as important in our family’s opinion.

But I’d still give my kids (if I ever have any) the choice of City or United, or Alty if I stayed round here if I had kids. My Sister married a Rag and one of her kids supports City and another a United. I’d even give them the choice not to like football if they preferred rugby league or ballroom dancing!

There was a Father and Son who sat near me at City for years. The kid had more Loyalty Points than me, his Dad had taken him home and away everywhere from being a young kid. The other year, I noticed the Dad was sitting alone so i asked him here his lad was and he said “he’s just turned 18 and told me he wanted to give up his seasoncard, he told me he never really liked football”!

Imagine how many kids up and down the country have been dragged along to football by parents who’ve made them do it, who don’t even support that team or even like the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did my level 1 coaching badge there was abit on it about child welfare, the bloke doing it said hands up if your son sons/daughters support the same club as you ? Up went my hand with pride. He said that could be seen as a sort of child abuse making your kids support your team !. I lost it calling him a f**king knobhead its about family history you twat etc. Not to sure you are meant to talk to the fa's child protection officer like that lol.
I think it was his kine of joke but I took it as a dig at my family roots ! Still I passed lol

To be fair when we were down at the bottom of division 1 and then league 1, he had a point :)

With 7 brothers who are all rag fans it is a bit dificult as all their offspring (well the one who support football) also support them!

Of my own offspring.............. my eldest supports the dippers (I'm still unsure where I went wrong there) the third one supports City as do his daughters and one of them would love to play for City women. (She has been scouted by teams from the USA and one from Wales.) Their mum is also a City supporter. The other two, both daughters, one says she supports rags but could be because her husband does. The other is a rugny fan and supports Wigan Warriors, even has a season ticket for them!

A very mixed up family!!

There's really only me and the Canadian ones with any sense!!

I appreciate how cheeky I am even being on the forum as a "Dipper", well I am being even more cheeky now by starting a thread!

So.....you have a son/daughter and are an avid football fan, In this case, we shall say a Liverpool supporter of many years. You look forward to the day of sharing your love for your club with your child. However, your father/mother in law supports, we shall say City and buys then their first full kit and tickets to a City game. Their first "proper" football match. Kids being kids take that first experience and kit and then decide they are then a City fan.

There will no doubt be an obvious answer to this considering where I am but I would welcome the view if you speak as a parent yourself. Irrespective of the teams involved is it wrong of the "in law" to get in the way of you handing down your allegiance?
In this case: choose your battles wisely.

Back in the 60's when I still lived in Manchester our next door neighbour mr &mrs bruce every Saturday to City and than next Saturday to utd ! In this day and age it seems odd to me. But they always went to which ever team was at home.

With 7 brothers who are all rag fans it is a bit dificult as all their offspring (well the one who support football) also support them!

Of my own offspring.............. my eldest supports the dippers (I'm still unsure where I went wrong there) the third one supports City as do his daughters and one of them would love to play for City women. (She has been scouted by teams from the USA and one from Wales.) Their mum is also a City supporter. The other two, both daughters, one says she supports rags but could be because her husband does. The other is a rugny fan and supports Wigan Warriors, even has a season ticket for them!

A very mixed up family!!

There's really only me and the Canadian ones with any sense!!

What a fabulous opportunity that would be to play "soccer" in the States

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.