Handing Down Allegiance

My dad is a blue so that sorted me.

I met my wife because she is the sister of the blue that took me under his wing. They've been season ticket holders since they were 5ish.

I had a son a few weeks ago, so I don't really need to worry. We're about as blue a family as you can get. My wife sat in the hospital bed the day he was born and listened to our game with Burnley on the radio the fucking legend.

I don't think it's disowning territory, though. Any self respecting blue should be able to endear city in wide eyed kid. The OP.... Your mother in law did your kid a favour.

I have posted on this forum before that I was brought up being told that supporting the rags was not an option and my lad didn't have a choice either. Like some others on this thread he is a 4th generation blue. My dad started watching City in the 40's and used to go to Maine Road every week so saw both City and United there but was always a blue. His Dad,who was born in Ordsall, was also a big blue and a mate of Billy Dale who played in the 30's cup finals.
Both sides of my family are Blues, my wife's family are from Bolton and I have a sister in law who supports them. Other than that I have one cousin on my Dad's side who is rag but that's families for you.

It can't all be down to parenting. My mum and dad were united season ticket holders and one of my earliest memories is going to Ringway to meet them off the plane back from Madrid in 1968.

I think it's a combination of a lot of variables, Most of my mates at school were blues although my best mate (of 56 years now) is a red. Innate intelligence, I was the only one in my family who went to University. Good looks, of course, I was never ugly enough to be a united fan, but, above all, contrarinesss. In those days all you heard was "Busby babes this" and "Busby babes that". Got totally sick over the unthinking adulation and rejected it. As it has got worse so my loathing of that club has increased. Social media has given me even more clubs to despise which is an added bonus.

In laws deserve a slap, assuming people are genuine fans and not just armchair watchers it should always be the dads team. However, if the dad isn’t a match goer himself then as soon as they are old enough to go all bets are off and if there’s a grandparent/uncle/whoever willing to take them to a game of a different side then good on them.

I have a new niece whose dad is a rag, but in the couple of years I’ve known him, I’m not aware of him ever going to the swamp, i’ve Been there more than him. I’ll have to step back and allow him the opportunity to take her to the swamp when she’s old enough and if she shows an interest in football but if he doesn’t bother I’ll be straight in taking her to city with me

I appreciate how cheeky I am even being on the forum as a "Dipper", well I am being even more cheeky now by starting a thread!

So.....you have a son/daughter and are an avid football fan, In this case, we shall say a Liverpool supporter of many years. You look forward to the day of sharing your love for your club with your child. However, your father/mother in law supports, we shall say City and buys then their first full kit and tickets to a City game. Their first "proper" football match. Kids being kids take that first experience and kit and then decide they are then a City fan.

There will no doubt be an obvious answer to this considering where I am but I would welcome the view if you speak as a parent yourself. Irrespective of the teams involved is it wrong of the "in law" to get in the way of you handing down your allegiance?

My grandson has a scouse loving Dad who indoctrinated him from day one. I can guarantee the first proper game he goes to will be a City match.
Personally i'd let the kid make his own mind up in time, the same as my Dad did for me.

My dad is a blue so that sorted me.

I met my wife because she is the sister of the blue that took me under his wing. They've been season ticket holders since they were 5ish.

I had a son a few weeks ago, so I don't really need to worry. We're about as blue a family as you can get. My wife sat in the hospital bed the day he was born and listened to our game with Burnley on the radio the fucking legend.

I don't think it's disowning territory, though. Any self respecting blue should be able to endear city in wide eyed kid. The OP.... Your mother in law did your kid a favour.
Congratulations.

My grandson has a scouse loving Dad who indoctrinated him from day one. I can guarantee the first proper game he goes to will be a City match.
Personally i'd let the kid make his own mind up in time, the same as my Dad did for me.

Respect to you fella for taking that step back. Think the only right thing to do but as Mancity1980 said earlier and you allude to there is that risk of blindly indoctrinating or forcing.
Think someone else pointed out about the lad that had a season ticket and went with his father for years and then got to 18 and simply stopped going altogether, maybe they only went to appease the father.....but then at least it was something between father and son rather than someone else being involved.

...and CONGRATULATIONS Ninjamonkey

I appreciate how cheeky I am even being on the forum as a "Dipper", well I am being even more cheeky now by starting a thread!

So.....you have a son/daughter and are an avid football fan, In this case, we shall say a Liverpool supporter of many years. You look forward to the day of sharing your love for your club with your child. However, your father/mother in law supports, we shall say City and buys then their first full kit and tickets to a City game. Their first "proper" football match. Kids being kids take that first experience and kit and then decide they are then a City fan.

There will no doubt be an obvious answer to this considering where I am but I would welcome the view if you speak as a parent yourself. Irrespective of the teams involved is it wrong of the "in law" to get in the way of you handing down your allegiance?

in your case it all depends where you live. Are you a born n bred scouser? Has liverpool been in your veins since before you were born?
Did u marry a Manc from a City supporting family?
If the answer is YES then id be gutted if i were you.

but .... if youre from no where near liverpool and are just another glory hunting cultist then youre fair game and im glad your kid was steered away from the odd lot that is liverpool fc

Yeah Doncaster was the first and Shrews were one of the last and wouldn't serve beer at half time.
It took just 45 minutes of that Doncaster friendly to realise Keegan had made a grave error in signing David Seaman. Embarrassing, like a fat pensioner floundering around

Both my lads had no choice in the matter, I have pictures of them in City kits from a few months old. The thing is we live down south these days and I remember wondering at the time if I was doing the right thing. My eldest was born 2002 and had a first advice kit and I was thinking the poor lad would be ripped apart at school for supporting City. Anyway they are both grateful to me today, and if anyone at school tries to accuse them of being glory hunters they've got the photos to shut them up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.