Happy 65th Birthday Tony Wilson

Davs 19 said:
He was a complete arsehole. Carried to a large extent by Gretton & Erasmus amongst others.

Most great cultural movements need a charismatic arsehole for a figurehead. BTW 'Youaaall forgot' Martin Hannett.

Without Wilson, none of them could have thrived as they did. PB has gripe. Fair enough. However, you seem well pissed with Tony. Did you get thrown out of the Hac or sommat?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHzceD8QpQ[/video]

jimharri said:
blue cigar said:
Could have and should have been part of a certain investigation had he been alive,not a shadow of a doubt.
Oooohhhh, this doesn't sound like the usual mindless, boring, getting-to-know you chit-chat. This sounds like you actually have something to say. Go on; expand. I dare you, I double dare you.
Cant do that jim,maybe someone else can expand on it...

blue cigar said:
jimharri said:
blue cigar said:
Could have and should have been part of a certain investigation had he been alive,not a shadow of a doubt.
Oooohhhh, this doesn't sound like the usual mindless, boring, getting-to-know you chit-chat. This sounds like you actually have something to say. Go on; expand. I dare you, I double dare you.
Of course yew you can.

jimharri said:
blue cigar said:
jimharri said:
Of course yew you can.
Veey good!

coleridge said:
Davs 19 said:
He was a complete arsehole. Carried to a large extent by Gretton & Erasmus amongst others.

Most great cultural movements need a charismatic arsehole for a figurehead. BTW 'Youaaall forgot' Martin Hannett.

Without Wilson, none of them could have thrived as they did. PB has gripe. Fair enough. However, you seem well pissed with Tony. Did you get thrown out of the Hac or sommat?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHzceD8QpQ[/video]

Think they actually performed that as Warsaw ,mate, released on the last night at the circus 10" under the JD moniker though.......

PS: me being thrown out of the Hac ? It was never gonna happen ;.)

Davs 19 said:
Think they actually performed that as Warsaw ,mate, released on the last night at the circus 10" under the JD moniker though.......

PS: me being thrown out of the Hac ? It was never gonna happen ;.)

I had the 10 inch 'Love at the Electric Circus' but sold it when I emigrated. As I remember, it was credited to Joy Division but could be wrong.

Well, I was merely a humble Hac punter [before the shit drug gang/metal detector days] and so what do I know. ;)

blue cigar said:

considering you cannot libel a dead person I shall treat this post as the meaningless bragging of an attention seeking gobshite until evidence is offered.

Davs 19 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
I know he was a rag..... he was one of those blokes who you loved or hated. personally, I loved the man for what he did culturally to the city and how he rallied against the capital.
Met him twice, top bloke. happy birthday Tony and thanks for the music amongst many other things.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/happy-65th-birthday-tony-wilson-8687536" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... on-8687536</a>

Happy 65th Birthday Tony Wilson: Stars lead tributes to Mr Manchester

On what would have been his 65th birthday, a host of music stars lead the tributes to Factory Records founder and cultural icon Anthony Wilson

The Happy Mondays joined a host of famous faces, friends and fans of the late, great Anthony Wilson to celebrate what would have been the cultural icon’s 65th birthday.

Factory Records founder, Hacienda nightclub owner, TV presenter and impresario Tony was fondly known as “Mr Manchester” thanks to his huge contribution to the cultural and musical revolution of the city in the 80s and 90s.

Happy Mondays stars Shaun Ryder, Rowetta, Bez and Mark Day posted a video message singing Happy Birthday to Tony, the man who first signed them back in the early 1980s after they performed in a “battle of the bands” contest at the Hacienda.

DJ and broadcaster Terry Christian led calls to get #TonyWilson65 trending on Twitter, saying: “Tony Wilson got us off our knees culturally and made us stand proud - get him trending on his birthday,” adding: “Can’t we issue a commemorative bus pass?”

Urban Splash founder Tom Bloxham posted a picture of him and Tony saying: “We still miss Mr Anthony H Wilson, he would have been 65 today”.

Former Factory Records band Space Monkeys wrote on their Facebook page: “Tony made our dreams become real and helped us take our music across the world without ever asking us to change what we believed in or play any game. His passion for music and belief in his artists was inspirational and during the time we were friends, he was also a kind and dedicated parent to his two young children, something which is rarely documented. He genuinely loved and believed in our band and without him, all our lives would have been so less brighter.”

Performance poet Mike Garry, who wrote the poem St Anthony as a tribute to his life, said: “He changed the world not just Manchester.”
Anthony Howard Wilson was born on February 20, 1950 in Salford.

Aged five his family moved to Marple but he was to return to Salford daily when he later gained a place at Salford boys’ grammar school De La Salle after passing his 11-plus.

Wilson’s ambition had been to become a nuclear physicist, but then he saw Hamlet at Stratford-upon-Avon and fell in love with literature.

Studying English at Jesus College, Cambridge, he joined the student paper and decided that his future lay in journalism, and by the 1970 he was working as a news reporter for Granada TV.

He went on to present culture and music programme So It Goes with acts such as the Sex Pistols, The Clash and Elvis Costello playing on the show.

In 1978 the Factory name was minted - first as a club night, then as a record label, Wilson forming a partnership with band manager Alan Erasmus and drawing in designer Peter Saville, producer Martin Hannett and Joy Division manager Rob Gretton. Together, Factory Records fostered an incredible roster of Manc musical talent including A Certain Ratio, the Durutti Happy Mondays and New Order.

He also founded and managed the infamous Haçienda nightclub and Dry Bar, together forming a central part of the music and cultural scene of Manchester.

After the club closed in 1992, Tony, dad to Oliver and Isabel, went on to found the In The City music convention which provided a platform for new musical talents and industry figures.

He died on August 10, 2007, aged 57, at The Christie Hospital.

There are plans for lasting memorials to Tony in Manchester, with a “Tony Wilson Place” being planned for the burgeoning First Street development, which is close to both the Hacienda and the loft apartment where Tony used to live.

Meanwhile New Order star Peter Hook is in discussions with council bosses over his plans for a huge statue of Tony that he would like to straddle the cities of Salford and Manchester - just as Tony did in his own life.

Had the misfortune to meet Wilson on several occassions and found him a truly supercilious piece of work.

So did my Uncle (ex De la Salle boy) and he would agree with you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.