Harry Maguire found guilty in Greece

Is it racism? Or, perhaps a better (and more nuanced question) is it just racism all of the time?

The difference in treatment is clear and that’s not the issue, the issue it seems to me is what causes it.

A good example is Marcus Rashford’s victory in relation to free school meals. What he did was massively important and is widely, and reasonably, regarded as having led to a U turn in government policy. There was no let up in the praise that was lavished on him, and if there was a serious problem with institutional racism perhaps you would have expected some of the praise to be qualified or more grudging than it actually was. Especially in media outlets that normally support the government, but I don’t recall anything of that nature.

It seems to me that the difference between the coverage of (say) Sterling’s fight with Gomez and MacGuire’s fight with Greek plod is more likely to have everything to do with the colour of the shirt they wear rather than the colour of their skin. The on line media knows exactly how many clicks positive stories about red shirted players get, and how many clicks positive stories about City get, in contrast to how many negative stories. They know how to write stories that are calculated to maximise clicks. Contrast for instance the media’s stance that there’s an appeal in the pipeline so all bets are off and we shouldn’t pay too much attention to the conviction in relation to MacGuire, and the complete absence of any equivalent thought in respect of City’s FFP appeal.

On the other hand, when you look at the reporting of Phil Foden’s purchase for a house for his mum, and Tosin A doing exactly the same thing, it’s hard to conclude that there isn’t institutional racism, bearing in mind the difference in tone.

I suppose what it comes down to is that the commercial media exists to generate profits for their shareholders, and the BBC have chosen to operate on the same level. The mail on line knows articles written in a sniffy tone about a blinging black player throwing his cash around is likely to garner more clicks with their particular readership than a positive story about a young man buying a house for his mum. On the other hand, you can bet your bottom dollar that a similar story about Marcus Rashford would have been written in the same tone as the Foden piece, because they know that even racists amongst the daily mail readership want to read positive stories about a young black man provided he plays for the rags.

So I suppose I would agree that there is a degree of institutional racism at play, but it seems to me that this is not the only factor at play.

Whether it’s bending the truth to chase clicks, or racism, or a mixture of the two, it’s pretty disgusting whatever it is.
Absolutely, bob on.

Look at the smirk at 02:37, if that doesn't tell you 100% he is lying nothing else will

Don't know if it's already been discussed on here but I don't understand why the media is not asking if the Greek police did a blood/medical report on the sister to prove/disprove the presence of the "date-rape" drug. Or did she return to the UK before they could do so? Even so, if Maguire was actually telling the truth, she should have done the medical test herself to prove that she was drugged and thereby prove Maguire was telling the truth. So why is she being conspicuously silent?

Also, I find it amusing when he says he ran away because he was scared and thought they were kidnappers - leaving his girlfriend and his sister, who he was supposedly trying to protect, in the van, while trying to escape himself!

Now that he has appealed, what could happen if they appeal court also finds him guilty?

Will the suspended sentence still carry or will they say, well you appealed, you were wrong, maybe arrogant to appeal, so now we are locking you up?

Or will the old sentence simply remain in place

Personally I think things got out of hand, there was an altercation and instead of apologising at first they are now trying to do the whole celeb bullshit spin.

I have some experience of such but in Italy when we played Atalanta away. I was involved in an altercation outside the ground with an undercover policeman when they were hitting us City fans.

Dragged to the cells, spent a night with about 8/9 other blokes of all different nationalities, saw a 'court' in the morning, apologised and was sent off back to England and banned from Italy for 5 years.

Job done but apart from being a celeb in Middleton no one wanted to know my story.

I quite like what’s happening.
All the sound bites from Greece were that an apology and maybe a bit of compo for the cops hurt would smooth away the whole thing.
Instead slap head goes on national tv to say he ain’t apologising, he did nothing wrong, he’s a “victim”, etc..
As far as I’m concerned he’s digging a bloody great hole for himself so that when the new trial happens He’ll have a fucking angry Greek judiciary lined up against him.
I can see it getting worse for him
i

Yes l thought that Asst Prosecutor didn't quite have the exact words for it but he was suggesting something like our 'bind over' and even a limited apology would be a first step. I think his brother ĺawas the first to say slabbo would never apologise and so made that hole a bit difficult.
Its annoying when foreigners break laws and then go on to criticise law enforcers. Imagine it happening here. Bad enough with that American woman who killed the lad on the bike.

Don't know if it's already been discussed on here but I don't understand why the media is not asking if the Greek police did a blood/medical report on the sister to prove/disprove the presence of the "date-rape" drug. Or did she return to the UK before they could do so? Even so, if Maguire was actually telling the truth, she should have done the medical test herself to prove that she was drugged and thereby prove Maguire was telling the truth. So why is she being conspicuously silent?

If some random person sticks a needle into you then surely you'll want to be checked for diseases such as Hepatitis C

I've done some research and apparently when he said "Do you know who I am?" one of them replied "You talking to me?" which is a well known Albanian saying ...
https://www.ocnal.com/2018/03/robert-de-niro-saying-has-also-albanian.html
It's actually very difficult to tell whether someone's Albanian because they nod their heads for "no" but shake their heads for yes...

Slabhead: Are you an Albanian Gangster?
Man: Nods.
Slabhead: Ah Ha!

or

Slabhead: Are you an Albanian Gangster?
Man: Shakes head.
Slabhead: Ah Ha!

Tricky.

Also, I find it amusing when he says he ran away because he was scared and thought they were kidnappers - leaving his girlfriend and his sister, who he was supposedly trying to protect, in the van, while trying to escape himself!

The last question is bang on the money if they were there with him

Part of me thinks any drugs taken were with all parties concerned consent

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.