Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest problem with Maguire is that he's so unbelievably average that I can't understand how he'd seemingly improve this team. I'm not arsed whether he costs £50m or £100m, it's that he doesn't improve this squad or our starting XI.

I see him as someone who's slow on the turn, isn't actually that great on the ball, and has had his lack of speed highlighted by Pep as a weakness.

I'd much rather us just keep Otamendi who's a much better player than Maguire.
Well, if all you say is true, you will have no fears as we wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, would we?

My main concern with Maguire is that he has shone for Leicester playing on the left. Laporte is our best centre back. So Maguire would get most of his minutes, you would assume, on the right. Is he as good there? I don't know.

He's also a slow fucker which in our high line, isn't ideal, especially with full backs bombing on.

But if Pep wants him, which I'm led to believe he does, then he will have this all figured out I'm sure.

Good point, if as the theory goes Pep likes a balance of one left footer and one right footer at the back then how does this work with Laporte, stones, Otamendi and adding another right footed player - isn’t that three right footed ? Only one left for option ?

Got a feeling Stones and Maguire will largely compete for the right sided CB slot... Laporte has the left side bolted down. As you say Stones needs to step up... ideally he needs to come back to pre season like Bernardo did last year and set his stall out and make Pep pick him.
AGREED

Komps strengths and value to City, in his last two or three seasons was hardly his pace, yet he was arguably our most influential player in the run in to the treble.

We don't need Alan Wells in our back four, however, neither do we need Jan Molby.

I know Leicester have tended to sit back and counter generally, but there have been many games when I have watched them having to chase a game.
Maguires pace isn't a feature of his game that I recallever being identified as a weakness in his game generally.

Ottamendi during are Centurion winning season had 34 appearances in the Prem for City. He was arguably one of are star performers. Otto is not and or has never been a speedster at the back, yet he had no problem regularly slotting into Citys highline during that record breaking season.

There may be genuine concerns some or many may hold in relation to Maguire, but when you consider the pace of some of the defenders who have played at the back for City, over the last few seasons, focusing on perceived issues about Maguires pace seems somewhat flawed.

Well I was also massively hesitant about the signing of Mahrez as were many on here. I think we can do much much better than Maguire.
That begs the question of who?

He's tailor-made for City. A footballing defender who is outstanding in the air i.e. compatible with City and fixes a potential weakness in what is a small City side. Regardless of some recent insights suggesting he is a genuine target, I think it's unlikely we can get him. If Leicester make a move for another defender, then I'll believe it can happen.

My biggest problem with Maguire is that he's so unbelievably average that I can't understand how he'd seemingly improve this team. I'm not arsed whether he costs £50m or £100m, it's that he doesn't improve this squad or our starting XI.

I see him as someone who's slow on the turn, isn't actually that great on the ball, and has had his lack of speed highlighted by Pep as a weakness.

I'd much rather us just keep Otamendi who's a much better player than Maguire.
Disagree, Otamendi's best years are behind him imo, too slow and against top class forwards eg Mane is reckless in the tackle. I think Maguire is a better player and whilst not particularly fast has more pace than Otamendi and does not dive in to tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.