Has Manchester lost too many of it's old pubs in town

We somehow derailed th media thread with chat about Branigans, the cellar bar in the Royal Exchange.
Was then chatting with an old mate tonight about the legendary Horts in St Anne’s Square.
Both MASSSIVE blue strongholds of the 80s/90s.
My maye was a proper red but he remembered the place next to Horts, was called Ronnie’s. A late gaff
And of course the Cyprus/Conti which again were City gaffs
Yep ronnies and horts, and the conservetory were all owned by the same crowd, spent many a long day/night in the conservatory, bar 105 downstairs was £1.05 for any drink

Just one mate, The Winston (Fraggle Rock, as it's known locally), on Churchill Way.

A real shame though. Still miss my old favourites The Woolpack and The Langworthy.
I wasn't sure if the Winston had been demolished...and I even went past there the other day walking to the Clarendon Centre. Didn't notice it!
I'm guessing that Salford must be one of the worst hit areas when it comes to losing local pubs. There were hundreds that just disappeared.

I wasn't sure if the Winston had been demolished...and I even went past there the other day walking to the Clarendon Centre. Didn't notice it!
I'm guessing that Salford must be one of the worst hit areas when it comes to losing local pubs. There were hundreds that just disappeared.
Yep, still there, but closes at 22:00 these days.

Definitely one of the worst hit areas, as you say.

I've still got the memories.....just!

I was usually so pissed I’d do the dambusters but end up in a big pile up on the floor
Ripped a big hole in a brand new, black M&S jumper doing that. Took it back for an exchange a few days later!
Those Monday nights at the Ritz were great. 50p Holsten Pils, Ironmasters, Everybody’s Happy Nowadays, Colourbox Official World Cup Theme, Dambusters… jumpers for goalposts…

Yep ronnies and horts, and the conservetory were all owned by the same crowd, spent many a long day/night in the conservatory, bar 105 downstairs was £1.05 for any drink
Those all bring back some memories!
When I’m in town, usually once a year Covid notwithstanding, I still pop into Corbieres for one and am always pleased to see that it hasn’t really changed since the 80s.
Last time I was in town, I was pleasantly surprised to see The Shakespeare still going. Never went in there much back in the day, I think we saw it as either an old man’s pub, or a bit rough, but it has a long history in my family, as back in the 50s it was where my grandad went every Saturday afternoon after ‘shopping’ in town. My poor mam spent a lot of her childhood outside with the proverbial bottle of pop and bag of crisps!

Those all bring back some memories!
When I’m in town, usually once a year Covid notwithstanding, I still pop into Corbieres for one and am always pleased to see that it hasn’t really changed since the 80s.
Last time I was in town, I was pleasantly surprised to see The Shakespeare still going. Never went in there much back in the day, I think we saw it as either an old man’s pub, or a bit rough, but it has a long history in my family, as back in the 50s it was where my grandad went every Saturday afternoon after ‘shopping’ in town. My poor mam spent a lot of her childhood outside with the proverbial bottle of pop and bag of crisps!

Didn't really like the Shakespeare, whenever the rags were at home it was infested with the vermin, however, just around the corner was Rosies Bar, a proper blue stronghold, a few in there then onto Brahms n List.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.