Has This Ever Happened?

Scaring Europe to Death

This occurred to me last night when the ref played a good advantage, and then booked the Leicester defender after the move had finally broken down.

Imagine if the Leicester defender had already been given a yellow card before committing the foul. The ref then played advantage, but after a flowing move City proceeded to lose the ball. Leicester counter attacked and the player about to be awarded a second yellow card suddenly volleyed in from thirty yards.

I presume the goal would have to stand, but imagine the uproar.

It's a good point. You're right with your concepts, however I do believe referees are under instruction to stop games for sending off, be it 2nd yellow or straight red.

MaineRoadBlue said:
It's a good point. You're right with your concepts, however I do believe referees are under instruction to stop games for sending off, be it 2nd yellow or straight red.

They can play on even if a red card needs to be awarded. The thing is, it's not quite a black-and-white scenario - the referee has a mandate to use the various powers he's been given to reward and punish the appropriate teams accordingly, and has a few get-out clauses that allow him in extremis to penalise if necessary. I think in this situation, the referee would be entitled to disallow the goal and give something like a drop-ball. Referees are supposed to ensure that the aggrieved team does not suffer from their decision to not stop play. Since the player who scored clearly should not have been on the field, but only was because you allowed play to go on, you can't allow the offending player to then affect the game in as drastic a way as by scoring.

That said, I guess most referees would probably argue that as soon as the team which was fouled lost the ball then play should be stopped as the advantage play is no longer helping them out, in which case the goal would never have been scored.

As a referee myself, the general consensus is that if you're going to dismiss a player, you do it as soon as the offence is committed- second caution or a straight dismissal. Imagine how hard it would be to control a game in which you've appeared to let a tackle go,only to surprise everyone with a red card maybe minutes after the original foul.

EDIT- A more likely scenario would be for a player to commit two bookable offences within the same POP, now that I'd like to see!

Stretfordian_Blue said:
As a referee myself, the general consensus is that if you're going to dismiss a player, you do it as soon as the offence is committed- second caution or a straight dismissal. Imagine how hard it would be to control a game in which you've appeared to let a tackle go,only to surprise everyone with a red card maybe minutes after the original foul.

EDIT- A more likely scenario would be for a player to commit two bookable offences within the same POP, now that I'd like to see!

That was what I thought this was going to be as I started to read it and something I wondered on Wednesday as it took a few minutes for the ball to go out of play. I imagine he would only book him for the second offence? Not sure you can issue two yellows like that or can you?

You can issue two yellow cards to one player at once if they're justified.

If you google You Are The Ref, it deals with lots of scenarios like this, and the decisions on what is the correct action in every implausible scenario is made by former PL Chief of Referees Keith Hackett, so the answers are reliable.

Personally I think if that ever happened the ref,as always,would shit himself and simply say it was a free kick but not a booking,therefore he has fuck all to answer to.....obstructed view and all that shit.

a ref will (well should) only ever play on in this situation if it'd almost certain that a goal will be scored (see chech v tottenham in the fa cup semi final a few years ago).

as has been alluded too, if you play advantage and intend to come back and send off the player for the foul you could cause yourself all sorts of problems if he influences play before you send him off!

Stretfordian_Blue said:

I think that would be especially contentious, I was discussing this with a mate the other day. Surely a player could claim he wouldn't make the second challenge/commit the offence if he knew he was already on a booking.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.