Have we become expectant as a fanbase?

Both the boss and the players expect to be competing in four trophies, year in, year out. And they say as much. Is it wrong to take our cue from them?
We kept getting sucker punched last season by teams playing a fairly simple game. That annoyed me, because Pep and the players seemed to fall for it time and again. I don’t think that’s entitlement.
As for getting players and losing them, yes, I think there’s an evident entitlement which is sometimes lamentably visible over on the Transfer forum (which I’m giving myself a break from, until such time as the Koulibaly deal genuinely progresses). No, we can’t just go out and get anyone we fancy. No, we can’t always hold on to players who, for whatever reason, genuinely want to leave. We are not Bayern Munich, and this is not the Bundesliga (thank God).
It’s possible that there are people masquerading on this forum. If that is so, my reaction is always the same. Not anger. But pity. Really. Because what a sad fucking life you must have if you fill your time doing that.
On the other hand, it’s all too easy to denounce someone as a closet rag or dipper because they happen to disagree with you. That happens here, too. FWIW, I deplore it.

I think it's important to remember where we came from but also understand that where we are now is a million miles away and as such our expectations and wants should change with it.
However, the core belief of City fans should be the same, whether we are angry or happy with them we love the club and support them, we support the players whilst they wear the shirt and the management whilst we believe they have the clubs best interest at heart.

The problem with judging the fanbase off bluemoon is that any idiot can sign up on the internet and pretend to be a city fan + people (me included sometimes I have to admit) use it as a stream of conciousness, posting before fully absorbing information, as such it's extremely reactionary and brings the worst out of us all. But that's what happens on the web isn't it?

I think it's important to remember where we came from but also understand that where we are now is a million miles away and as such our expectations and wants should change with it.
However, the core belief of City fans should be the same, whether we are angry or happy with them we love the club and support them, we support the players whilst they wear the shirt and the management whilst we believe they have the clubs best interest at heart.

The problem with judging the fanbase off bluemoon is that any idiot can sign up on the internet and pretend to be a city fan + people (me included sometimes I have to admit) use it as a stream of conciousness, posting before fully absorbing information, as such it's extremely reactionary and brings the worst out of us all. But that's what happens on the web isn't it?
There's nothing wrong with setting the bar higher these days. Having watched City for more than 50 years I can honestly say I have yet to meet a self-entitled City fan. It is probably the company I keep, but the Blues I meet at home and away matches are very grounded and still enjoying the ride.
The takeover happened 12 years ago and at the time there were many suggestions that we would become the next Chelsea with a new plastic army of fans. In fact our core fanbase has remained stubbornly Mancunian (or Mancunian ex pats). Of course we must have attracted plenty of new fans who are glory-hunters but they are not a dominant presence like they are at clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool, United, and Chelsea. Perhaps the relentless racist coverage in the media has put off some of the plastics.

We have become expectant as a fanbase, maybe a bit much so in certain areas. I put it down to fans believing they know the game inside out because they play FIFA 2020 a lot ;)

For some reason I am looking forward to this season more than last season (Maybe because it's a clean slate and we should be up for it) my expectations are that we should be better in defence and continue to do what we do well which is scoring goals and not playing route one football.

As fans we are always expecting something. Even when we were rubbish before the season started I expected us to win something, that hope usually lasted about 2 games. At least now we do win things.

I know a good few like myself that are definitely not expectant maybe its my age 59 soon, but have to say there are far to many on here.

I still go into every match thinking today typical city could turn which to my surprise they did do quite often last season.
I defo started to take defeats badly when the year after we won the prem in 2012 but realised we aren't going to roll over everything.

I still love winning the fa cup and league Cup, especially the fa cup as it was always the last game of the season and was always THE game everyone watched, fuck your champions league with the corrupt cunts.

I understand what you're saying but I'm not on about that. I'm on about how we can't accept things turning for the worst, defeats and players not signed always seem to spark mass hysteria on here. It's as if we've become spoilt by our success and modern day circumstances. We mock others fans forums but when the shit hits the fan on here I bet they read some of our fanny wipe posts and piss themselves laughing.

I also think Bluemoon has been flooded recently by wums and bullshitters. Quite a few seem to be spurious accounts, and some are lay dormant for years like a desert. When it rains weeds start popping up everywhere and are quick in taking the piss in mocking and derisionary scorn, albeit subtle, till they're sussed by our sniffer dog mods and rightly flirt them off here.

I think every new member should have to state team supported (like other forums) when they join.
I also think posters with previous usernames should have their former username on their profile so we can see who they used to be, especially when they throw a grenade into the room for a reaction.
It’s a forum, it’s the internet, it’s not teal life. Strange people with strange motives say strange things online that they wouldn’t say in real life.

Unless it’s a really important game then any anger and discontent you feel at a defeat is probably washed out of your system chatting while walking back to your car or at worst by the time you get home.

It’s different when you’re a kid but most grown up city fans, because of the years of failure, have a very good sense of perspective about our current situation

We have ALWAYS been expectant. I'd argue that every fan in football is expectant. All expectant means/is, is that we're aware of the likely outcome and can determine whether our performance reflects that objective.

We've varied between:

Expecting to get promoted
Expecting to stay up
Expecting to challenge for Europe
Expecting to win the league

The parameters have changed because the club has changed. This would happen with fans of any club. When your parameters change to a higher expectation, you end up with a very good atmosphere (such as Wolves recently who've gone - promotion, stay in division, reach Europe). But then the natural cycles of football mean you either stagnate or regress - which leads to poor atmosphere (United, Arsenal, Everton). After a few years of change, the new 'norm' sinks in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.