Have you ever moved/lived abroad? What was your experiences, best advice?

Blu3m00n91

Didn’t know what to put here the thread title says it all. Interested to hear some experiences.

Lived in Germany for 7 years in the RAF lived every minute of it, if they hadn’t closed it down I’d still be in I reckon. Beautiful country, strong beer, some very nice ladies and a good standard of living and respect for each other. Also lived in Malawi as a 8-10 year old it was hot and different from oldham though maybe not so much now

I moved to South America after I retired, first in Bolivia and then Brazil.
Learn some of the language and rent for the first year to make sure you actually enjoy living there.
Take into account currency fluctuations; as an example when I moved to Brazil I was getting 5 reals to the pound, after the Brexit vote it dropped to 2.3 reals to the pound. At the moment it’s 7.3 reals to the pound.

Lived up a mountain in a national park in Catalonia for 7 years, renovated 2 farms, great times and experiences and the best 7 years of my life. If I was 15 years younger I'd do it all again. Seems like you're getting itchy feet......
Do it, you dont know what's round the corner and you can always come home.

Worked abroad quite a lot, usually for periods of 6 months. It’s very rewarding but sometimes hard being away from loved ones.

They should bring back national service but instead of making people do pointless stupid shit like work in the army they should force them to work abroad, learn a different language, sample a different culture. We probably wouldn’t have so many bellends in the UK then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.