Head to Head or Goal Difference

Xhavenjoe

La liga and French leagues are finishing today. Very tight at the top.
If both Madrid teams finish level on points, Real will win on having had the better head to head results between the two. However, Athletico will probably have a better goal difference.
The French league could have as many as 3 teams finishing level on points. In this case, PSG would win on goal difference.

I was thinking that if United had drawn level with us on points this season and the Head to head was here instead if goal difference, they would win the league.

I'm surprised that there is no universal method for determining league positions, particularly as they determine who goes into the future competitions such as the champions league.

goal difference, rewards performance in both boxes over the season and your performance against everyone. Head to head just rewards the referee for deciding who wins those games
I don't like head to head especially in the champions league. A lot of the matches in the final round of the league format are dead rubbers

We always have superior goal difference so it wouldn't surprise me if the Premier League looks into changing this rule.

Goal difference in domestic leagues, but head in tournaments, such as CL, World Cup, etc.

My reasoning: domestic leagues are played over many more games than tournament groups and therefore a testament to a team’s consistency over a season, whereas the low number of games in a tournament group demands a different type of tie-breaker.

Goal difference is the best way as it takes into account the whole season and not just two games. Those two games have been factored in with the overall points. But performance over every game should be used as a way of determining the winner overall. They can playoff if there's no separation after goal difference.

If our league was done on head to head then the only time it has been tied we would have won anyway.

The Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea situation would be interesting. Liverpool come out on top against both. Leicester ahead of Chelsea.... so if they were all on the same points it would be Liverpool and Leicester that finished 3rd and 4th.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.