Headstones and epitaphs

denislawsbackheel said:
Some of you lot are straight from the middle ages!
Place for grieving! Bollocks.
Markers, headstones! You'll be telling me you're saving up for a mausoleum next.

I have never visited a grave once and I'm 60. When you're gone you're gone. My ma and pa were cremated and scattered at a place of significance to them. As shall I, and in a cardboard coffin with a humanist eulogy if I can prearrange it.

hear hear!
its all a bit narcissistic for me and takes up too much land. silly tradition that we have been inherited, why go and grieve by a lump of granite when you could have a photo or similiar of your loved one to take some time out and pay respect to

denislawsbackheel said:
Markers, headstones! You'll be telling me you're saving up for a mausoleum next.

I have never visited a grave once and I'm 60. When you're gone you're gone. My ma and pa were cremated and scattered at a place of significance to them. As shall I, and in a cardboard coffin with a humanist eulogy if I can prearrange it.

Thats a harsh outlook
Both my parents are dead and buried together at Southern Cemetary. I get a lot of comfort from going to thier grave. Its a focal point for me and a visit maybe 4 times a year. In times of deep trouble I go and talk to them, as a christian my belief is that they have only passed over and are just a step away.

^^^fair enough to everyone's opinion not wanting a headstone or just being cremated but when my grandads headstone gets put up in a couple of months i'll be sat there talking to it as it feels like he's sat with me and makes me happy

Total waste of space for me. I understand some will want a place to visit and I have to respect that but I have no intention of having a grave. Cemeteries will take up masses of space and the population is getting bigger.

I see Heywood Cemetery with tons of elaborate headstones but with no one visiting them because they are long gone and you only really grieve the family you knew not great great great granddad.

I would like my useful bits removed and given to someone who needs them. Although I plan to live past 100 so who knows if there'll be any use.
Then I will be cremated with a humanist ceremony (massive piss up after). I'd like my ashes to be the bedding of a tree. Sort of from death comes life type thing. I don't need people to visit if they want to remember they can do that anywhere.

lostmyhouseski said:
denislawsbackheel said:

hear hear!
its all a bit narcissistic for me and takes up too much land. silly tradition that we have been inherited, why go and grieve by a lump of granite when you could have a photo or similiar of your loved one to take some time out and pay respect to

I disagree. My grandmother lost two children at a young age and it gave her comfort to go to their graves, which personally I understand. I find cemeteries quite moving places and enjoy wandering around them. I know you can read about historical events but seeing the headstones of soldiers of WW1/2 or the community of a welsh village buying a memorial for miners lost in a pit disaster makes it more real for me.

I understand the practicalities and no doubt you are right but I feel graves and headstones represent more than narcissism. I feel that they are part of our history.

mrt4919 said:
denislawsbackheel said:

Thats a harsh outlook
Both my parents are dead and buried together at Southern Cemetary. I get a lot of comfort from going to thier grave. Its a focal point for me and a visit maybe 4 times a year. In times of deep trouble I go and talk to them, as a christian my belief is that they have only passed over and are just a step away.

In times of deep trouble I go and talk to them

no you don't

denislawsbackheel said:
mrt4919 said:
denislawsbackheel said:

Thats a harsh outlook

In times of deep trouble I go and talk to them

no you don't

I did not say they answered back..... LOL

Put me in the wheelie bin, chuck me in a river, feed me to wild dogs. Couldn't care less, won't make any difference to me.

I always read headstones when I go to the cemetary - I find them interesting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.