Heartburn

I think there is something going around. I've got similar symptoms and I hardly ever get heartburn.

However I'll always pinch an Omazerprole off my dad if I'm going on an all dayer, like the Test Match with a 10.30am drinking start....
Yup I think it's a bug as it's came at the same time as the chest infection, I don't tend to get heartburn unless drinking or eating centimetres foods like pig fish

It's because your stomach lies below the esophagus when lying on your left due to gravity. Instead of the opposite when lying on your right hand side causing the acid to travel up your esophagus causing the burning acid feeling.
Good man, well explained. I know it works for me so hoped it would benefit someone else not aware of this

Same with me. Used to suffer from it regularly but lost 11kg and it disappeared, even after eating curries. I've put some of that weight back on though and it's reoccurred a couple of times.
Well done on your weight loss

I stopped drinking tea and alcohol about 18 months ago, also avoid shortcrust pastry, as the fat content is also a main trigger.

Would also agree to stay clear of chocolate.

I use Gaviscon liquid as and when, but there really is no better cure than keeping active and eliminating acidity from foods that also cause inflammation.

Keep it plain, avoid the pain.

I agree with everyone saying see the doc, but try lying and sleeping on your left side at night not your right. It's something to do with the way the acid sits when you are on the right - can't explain it but google it! It works for me
The Esophageal sphincter relaxes during deep sleep and if you are lying on your RHS it sits below the contents of your stomach which means any excess stomach acid can leak out into your oesophagus causing the irritation we know as heartburn.

I have always had a bit of a dicky tummy as have many of the male side of my extended family. I sufferred with duodenal ulcers for years and literally only got through the horrible pain by becoming totally reliant on Tagamet. Mr Balls read an article in Take a Break magazine, it suggested misdiagnosis of ulcers and could be bacterial , take Losec which I did for 3 days and 30 years later I have never had a day’s issue until this summer.

1st noticed hangover’s from hell at the start of the week.
I have had lot of goz in the chest for years but other than pissing people off with that horrible wrenching sound , never caused me bother.

I was getting worse and started to feel really poorly at the end of this summer and was worrying myself silly as I had developed this very uncomfortable burning like sensation in my chest which was more than a bit disconcerting from someone who lost their father to a dodgy heart at a similar age.

To complicate matters further , I had covid in June and thought I was maybe suffering long covid - panic set in , breathing awful and spiralling down.

Getting to see a doctor face to face is a whole different story but an eventual health assessment after ringing 111 told me I was not to go to A&E but my GP was to see me within 12 hours.

High blood pressure, drinking too much but Acid Reflux was the diagnosis.

1 month of Lanzaprosel , taking it steady with the finer things in life since and I am back fighting fit.

Rennies do come in very handy.

Blood pressure normal , panic all gone although tonight is going to be a test.

I used to get terrible heartburn. But then, for many years, I used to have a supper of cheese and pickles. I knocked that on the head and it solved the problem.

I find too much fatty stuff can be a problem. I ate an absolutely superb wild boar pie up in the Lake District and on the way home I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. It was the pastry. I think as you get older there are things you have to avoid, or only have in minimal quantity.

The Esophageal sphincter relaxes during deep sleep and if you are lying on your RHS it sits below the contents of your stomach which means any excess stomach acid can leak out into your oesophagus causing the irritation we know as heartburn.
Yep exactly. Alcohol is the worst for this as it relaxes all muscles in the body including the Esophageal sphincter. This muscle should shut tight not allowing anything to come back up, however when you drink or smoke it becomes more slack. Lager and red wine tend to be the worst for this as they raise acid levels in your stomach increasing the chance of acid reflux. Spicy foods/chocolate/dairy/ & onions tend to be the worst foods.

Yep exactly. Alcohol is the worst for this as it relaxes all muscles in the body including the Esophageal sphincter. This muscle should shut tight not allowing anything to come back up, however when you drink or smoke it becomes more slack. Lager and red wine tend to be the worst for this as they raise acid levels in your stomach increasing the chance of acid reflux. Spicy foods/chocolate/dairy/ & onions tend to be the worst foods.
It’s another sphincter I worry about loosening in bed

Half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in boiling water, cool it down a little when it has fizzed up, works a treat and cheap as chips. doesn't taste very good but very effective .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.