help! I want to stop smoking thread.

20 days in saved about £100. Most levels are back to normal. The rest will take time.
Must say found it tough going at times yesterday.
Here's to another day. Good luck.

bluezi said:
20 days in saved about £100. Most levels are back to normal. The rest will take time.
I drove up to the lakes on Sunday, I'd usually have 10 on the way up, hard work but I'm sticking to it, the barman kept offering me fag last night, it's taking a bit of will power.

My Grandad smoked from the age of 13. He smoked all his life through to when he retired at 75 years old (he was a removals man driving around Europe - he moved a few footballers). He thought in retirement it wouldn't be best for him to be just sat at home in his late 70s smoking all day, and he was a chain smoker for probably 50 years.

So one week after retirement he woke up one morning, finished his last cigarette (think he smoked B&H Gold King Size) in his last packet with a coffee, savoured the moment and feeling for a little while, put the cig out and never smoked again. No patches, no gum, no replacement plastic cig efforts, no electric cigs...just stone cold stopped and hasn't touched a cig for three years since.

In those three years he's had about five chest infections, came out in a big rash for about a month after quitting and he's developed arthritis in his hands and he's put loads of weight on. But he and his house do smell better, he says he can take deep breaths when dunking his head under the water in the bath for the first time he can ever remember and he can taste his food properly.

I think smoked for too long for the benefits of stopping to actually take affect. But he quit and didn't touch or even want to touch another after 63 years of smoking. If he can do it anyone can!

Have a walk around the hospital ward I visited yesterday ,if that doesn't make you quit nothing will.Best of Luck.

KippaxCitizen said:
My Grandad smoked from the age of 13. He smoked all his life through to when he retired at 75 years old (he was a removals man driving around Europe - he moved a few footballers). He thought in retirement it wouldn't be best for him to be just sat at home in his late 70s smoking all day, and he was a chain smoker for probably 50 years.

So one week after retirement he woke up one morning, finished his last cigarette (think he smoked B&H Gold King Size) in his last packet with a coffee, savoured the moment and feeling for a little while, put the cig out and never smoked again. No patches, no gum, no replacement plastic cig efforts, no electric cigs...just stone cold stopped and hasn't touched a cig for three years since.

In those three years he's had about five chest infections, came out in a big rash for about a month after quitting and he's developed arthritis in his hands and he's put loads of weight on. But he and his house do smell better, he says he can take deep breaths when dunking his head under the water in the bath for the first time he can ever remember and he can taste his food properly.

I think smoked for too long for the benefits of stopping to actually take affect. But he quit and didn't touch or even want to touch another after 63 years of smoking. If he can do it anyone can!

Thats great.

Some people smoke all their lives with litte or no effect.
While others are not so lucky.<br /><br />-- Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 am --<br /><br />
Stretford Ender said:
Have a walk around the hospital ward I visited yesterday ,if that doesn't make you quit nothing will.Best of Luck.

It totally amazes me when I see people smoking outside the Christies.

andyhinch said:
bluezi said:
I drove up to the lakes on Sunday, I'd usually have 10 on the way up, hard work but I'm sticking to it, the barman kept offering me fag last night, it's taking a bit of will power.

Keep it up m8. Your already a non smoker.

how we all doing?
11 days now for me and got to be honest, apart from a couple of fleeting moments when i've quite fancied one, it's not been too bad. easier than i expected anyway - guess it's right that you have to really want to quit and when you do, it's a lot simpler.
feel shocking though. i never actually had a smokers cough when i smoked but now it's awful. and i'm starting with a cold. :-(

Nearly 4th wk.
Was very tuff today as I went cold turkey. Because I forgot to put a patch on.
Anyone struggling without nrt help, my sincere admiration goes out to them.

Well done everyone.

bluezi said:
andyhinch said:
bluezi said:

Keep it up m8. Your already a non smoker.
I've well and truly fallen off the wall, sat in a pub I can smoke in, not bought any, but I'm into the landlord for 18. Pissed off with myself, but I can smoke and drink at the bar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.