Help me get my toddler to sleep

This is plain wrong.

These outmoded views from yesteryear have been found to be a cause of lasting psychological damage. Who in their right mind would cause terror to a tiny child like this? Obviously (and it IS obvious), that child believes that they are being abandoned - they are experiencing genuine terror when they are left like this. Sleep training is downright cruel and anyone these days who decides to pursue it - despite all of the evidence for the harm that it does to the child - needs to drag themselves into the 21st century and fast.
Do you have kids Stuuuuu? And if so did what did you do? Because it's pretty much a universal challenge for all parents.

See I took the strong arm approach and I think I may have actually caused long lasting damage.

All five of my kids / young adults are a complete menace to society now.

My eldest daughter is turning out to be right do gooder. Wants to give back to kids with problems like anxiety by going to uni to be a bloody teacher. I've turned my back completely on her now. I mean what's wrong with benefits or working on a till. I dunno shocking up bringing.

My eldest lad is a nightmare. Only went and decided to get himself a trade at college and now an apprentice in a trade I mean, what the hell good is that when you have a skill that people will pay money for? Why cant he go and sit in piccadilly gardens all day like the rest of em.

The step daughter decided, oh I know I'll go to uni to train up as a nurse. FFS stupid mare. yeh that's right go and help the sick and injured. Selfish git. I obviously failed with the charity begins at home thing.

The youngest lad is in High School so still time to 'educate' I guess. Trouble is he insists on being so bloody clever and winning end of year prizes for excellence and piano performances. Then when hes got nowt to do when he shld be dossing around causing havoc hes out at Bridgewater Hall playing his cello in GM Youth String Orchestra. On Friday when he should be out snogging a bird in the local park hes actually playing cello at the RNCM.

Then theres the apple of me eye. Just leaving primary and off to big school. A whole new world of delinquent education is ahead of her. I'm so proud and looking forward to her future court appearances. Oh wait hang on.... No that's right she wants to be a teacher too. Christ where did it all go wrong?

See what happens when u do a weeks worth of cruel to be kind.
This post is riddled with logical fallacies. It's great that your kids have turned out so well and, of course, approaches to addressing the matter of sleep count for one of many factors. Referring to examples of how well they're doing is pretty irrelevant when we're discussing the myriad factors affecting the whole person.

For example, I absolutely did NOT do sleep training with my kids but my eldest has just scored 100% in every one of her SATs exams, they're both top of their classes by a huge distance, they've both been scoring distinctions in their ballet exams, they both beat everyone at sport etc. But I wouldn't be daft enough to trace all of this down to one factor (how we got them to sleep). There are many other factors at play here.

I could point out that your kids have tended to go into the caring professions - you even mention the desire to deal with anxiety. Well who is it that normally goes into the caring professions? People with anxieties themselves, that's who! Look at care workers, teachers, nurses, people who work with neglected animals etc. - a disproportionately large number have their own anxieties, hence the desire to help others. Because they have an understanding of how they feel. Now, I don't know your kids so I'm not going to say that this is for sure the case with them but it's certainly interesting that several of them are going into this kind of work.

Anyway, the point is, your response is irrelevant and looks a lot like an attempt to justify your behaviour to yourself.

Last edited:
Do you have kids Stuuuuu? And if so did what did you do? Because it's pretty much a universal challenge for all parents.
Yes I do and, like I've said in my previous post, they are outstanding kids in every area. Yet I didn't do sleep training. Kids' brains are designed to spend a lot of time with their parents and yes, they are meant to be awake in the night when they are very young (frustrating as it is). I wouldn't put my own convenience before the long-term psychological wellbeing of my children.

Just to be clear, I've never been an advocate of the 'let the child cry themselves to sleep' approach to sleep training

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.