Help on feeling low?

Blue and true

Apologies in advance if this brings on a downer on the forum, but I've been struggling a lot with anxiety and mental well-being. I lost my grandfather earlier in the year, and I've recently moved to a new location up North for work. The upheaval has been overwhelming to say the least. I don't whether it's because of society and modern culture but I've been questioning my self-worth a lot over the past few weeks. I find myself picking up the phone to speak to family and friends just to hear a calm voice, and that helps a little. Maybe the football off-season has exacerbated things. Does anyone have any advice on how to get out of a mental low and roughly how long it takes to do so? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First call tomorrow is your gp. Now these people are not my favourite people but they can put you in touch with people who you can talk to. Trained people, because whilst bm is good, professionals they are not.
Also look at your lifestyle. Turn your phone off for 2 hours, get off social media etc. Go for a walk along the Mersey or wherever. Stay off or moderate alcohol. All things to help you relax.

Hard to set a time limit as it is different for everyone. Anxiety is hard to deal with if you have never had it before. It can be quite worrying when you have it but it will go/can be controlled given time or with the help of meds. You may be under a lot of pressure/stress following the move and it has triggered something. You are doing the right thing by speaking about it and calling your family when you need a lift. Maybe go home at weekends too to see some familiar faces.

Exercise
Cut out/down drinking
Hobbies
Keeping busy

All can help.

If all else fails then medication can help and if you feel that it is job related and it doesn’t improve, then ask to be moved back to where you were happier or find another job that will help you be happier.

Loads of people on here have suffered with these illnesses so don’t be afraid to keep coming on and asking for help if you need it but if you feel overwhelmed then call your Gp.

Here are two books that may be helpful if your issues persist, though bear in mind that your present mood seems understandable - a lot of people would have difficulty coping with what you have recently been through, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself right now, and things may improve simply as a result of the passage of time.

9781606234648.jpg

original.jpeg

Check out the reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:
Some really good advice already on here.
I certainly advocate not drinking for the time being.
Small steps fellow blue- talking helps and certainly get professional advice.
Somehow try and think about something positive - focus on what you have got and try and find a way to get your endorphins flowing.
Sounds easy but some of us have been there and eventually bounced back.

Great advice here. What helped me was the following...
1. Unloading to a therapist. It was like releasing a valve. In the short term it helped me get through the very very low feelings that I had. I don't think I'd be here without him. But over time the benefits weren't as dramatic. I felt like I needed to go the rest of the way myself. So...
2. Exercise and healthy living. I started by running and then knackered my knees. I then joined a Gym group (circuit training) and it's great. The sessions are at 6am or 7am so I have to get to bed earlier in order to get up in the morning. After you are done you feel brighter for the day. It's like you don't have time to be down. It is very tough at the start but after a while it is really enjoyable. Also....
3. Don't drink at home. I went down that road and it only makes matters worse. If you can give up drink it's best but otherwise at least don't do it where you'll fall asleep. Get out.
4. Get out - especially during the day. Go for a walk, go a breakfast in a cafe, go to an event, etc. If you have friends all the better but going alone is good too - better to have your face stuck in a phone outside than on the couch.
5. Talk to a therapist. I've just booked a session now with a new therapist. This is just my weird logic but now that I feel in a better place I want to stay here so I'll go to a therapist that isn't already biased by where my head was before and see how that goes.

You could discount everything I typed as just my journey and yours will be yours. I hope you find what you need. PM me anytime. :-)

Some good advice already so can I recommend bricking your windows and torching your gaffe*

*disclaimer. Misty Blue is not a trained counsellor and his advice should only be acted upon when all else, literally everything else, has been tried. (And if you're going to sue anyone sue Ric, he's wedged)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.