Help with understanding equity, Moving Home

bluetonium

This is a topic that completely baffles me, so if anyone can help I would be very appreciative.

We are looking to move home, upscale if we can, have had our house valued and have some saved up. But we have a cushy mortgage rate that our provider says we can keep if we move house and take out another mortgage with them for a bigger place. Of course they would say that!

But I can't figure out the figures in my head, can somebody explain?

Say, to keep things simple, that our house is valued at £100k and we get that for it, our outstanding mortgage is £50k and have another £10k saved up, and we are looking at a houses up to £150k.

Does that give us £50k equity from moving house + £10k from the saving, so we can do at most a 10-40% deposit (forgetting moving and legal fees for a minute), transfer our £50k mortgage and then need a new mortgage deal for the balance to top it up to £200k (so up to £40k additional required from a new mortgage agreement)?

As I say, confused!

you will have £60K cash £50K mortgage so will need another mortgage for £40K on a house at £150K

You'd have £50k from your house plus the £10k, meaning you've got £60k to put to the new house of £150k, so you'd need a mortgage for £90k. Say you've got £40k left to pay on the mortgage of the current house, you keep that at your rate and then have another mortgage for £50k, making the £90k in total.

That's what happened when we moved anyway.

Thanks guys. So when I'm looking at those online mortgage calculators I'm needing them to say they can give me the total, 50k that I already have and 40/50k additional?

Thinking not a bad time to check other mortgage options anyway.

bluetonium said:
Thanks guys. So when I'm looking at those online mortgage calculators I'm needing them to say they can give me the total, 50k that I already have and 40/50k additional?

Thinking not a bad time to check other mortgage options anyway.

As a quick guide your mortgage payments will nearly double , if that helps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.