"He's worth it in shirt sales alone" - is it a myth?

Many thanks for the replies. My scepticism in the OP was justified. So, basically, possibly good for marketing in general but shirt sales don't pay wages. Now all I need is somebody to say "we'll make that back in shirt sales" and I can put them straight whilst showing how clever I am...

I remember reading in Q about 20 or 30 years ago about why so many bands were reforming for tours, and it was basically to sell merchandise. T-shirts and God knows what was worth far more than ticket sales, back catalogue sales and all the rest. I know the industry has changed enormously since then (especially online and social media), but I doubt this basic premise has changed. Cool? Maybe. Weird? Definitely!
Yes if a band sells an album then if say all 4 or 5 band members have writing credits then that probably be 20% or 25% of the royalties each (with the manager getting a cut too so even less) where as a band selling a shirt for £30 when split between them will probably be worth more than an album sale to each member.
I am reading Peter Hook's book on New Order at the moment and he says in the early 80's they were dragged in front of the taxman and when going through the books the taxman said there was no mention of merchandise. Hooky told him JD and NO never did merchandise they didnt believe in doing it. The taxman turned and said "every 4th kid I see walking down Market St is wearing a Joy Division t shirt" and fines them £10,000...

He said it was years later on an American tour when the promoter insisted on merchandise that they caved in and agreed. Hooky says he couldn't believe how much money was made each night and all of a sudden the tours made a profit!

The only way clubs make a significant amount on a shirt sale is if it's sold by the club shop. If they do that then they probably make about £20 a shirt, just due to the mark ups. The amount they get back from their manufacturers is next to nothing

We need to get on that list. How the fuck do Arsenal and Chelsea sell more shirts than us? Not to mention Milan and PSG!
They've been at it longer and their fanbases have more disposable income and spend it on merchandise rather than going to games. Most of our new fans are a lot younger and our shirt sales will be growing a lot faster than theirs.

I remember reading in Q about 20 or 30 years ago about why so many bands were reforming for tours, and it was basically to sell merchandise. T-shirts and God knows what was worth far more than ticket sales, back catalogue sales and all the rest. I know the industry has changed enormously since then (especially online and social media), but I doubt this basic premise has changed. Cool? Maybe. Weird? Definitely!
Mad, who ever came up with those Eddy T shirts for Iron Maiden must be worth a fortune.

Not sure if already posted. But this article a couple of years ago was decent.

Used the Zlatan deal as an example after reports united had made £50m in shirt sales alone. They hadn’t

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Many thanks for that, a very interesting read. Worth it for this quote alone:
'Despite the nonsense you may have heard about Zlatan Ibrahimovic shirt sales generating £50m for Manchester United, which would far exceed his wages, it’s simply not true.'
which I will have great pleasure in pointing out to my b-in-law when I get a chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.